Record matches

Started by Erica Howton on Thursday, October 20, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 38 posts
10/20/2011 at 5:07 PM

Geni is actively pusuing external partnerships and introduced a "record match" field. (See the geni blog, footer of every page, for details.).

Has anyone thought about how this impacts, if at all, our naming conventions?

10/20/2011 at 8:43 PM

Each other organization will have their own naming system, and our members will just have to remember our's (Geni's) system.

10/20/2011 at 10:40 PM

Erica,

You would have to ask Mike.
I suspect it would be more or less like the matches between profiles.

10/21/2011 at 12:25 AM

You've got pay for them, though - so, also, I thought we should start a thread where people with subscriptions to them help others to search and share the data here.

Private User
10/21/2011 at 1:06 PM

I agree, Sharon! I'm already stretched to the limit with my Ancestry subscription and can't afford to add more membership fees to my budget, so the whole "record match" thing isn't very helpful for me. I'd be so happy to "trade" with others by doing Ancestry searches for them if they could help me with some of the "records match" stuff!

10/21/2011 at 1:10 PM

:-)

10/21/2011 at 8:18 PM

Excelent idea, Sharon please start a project where we can list Curators/pros and managers with other web subscriptions.

Then we can cross subsidise our info, I am with Anchestry24

10/21/2011 at 9:05 PM

Excellent idea Sharon, but I also agree with Jennifer and Willem.

10/22/2011 at 4:28 AM

Okay I started that thread guys: http://www.geni.com/discussions/101922?msg=748784

11/9/2011 at 3:31 PM

Today Geni has linked to Find a Grave, my father's profile has over 160 record matches to find a grave, but in actuality, he only has ONE photo of his headstone. SO the question that I have is this: how can I whittle the record matches. It is very misleading to someone.

11/9/2011 at 4:46 PM

Barbara Jean Shepard

I agree with you...Right now if you browse to George Washington, 1st President of the United States profile and click through to the findagrave results you'll get 74 results. It is returning all 74 George Washington's in Virgina cemeteries. There should be an option to only include hits that are within a certain number of years of the profiles death date if of course they have a death date. Since Washington died in 1799 I'd like the default findagrave query to search for "George Washington" + Virginia + before 1809. I picked 1809 because it is 10 years after his death. Doing this search returns only 4 results and not 74 like the current broader query.

11/9/2011 at 5:12 PM

We pass birth year and death year to Find a Grave.. it looks like we might be able to tighten up the parameters a bit -- I'll look into it.

11/9/2011 at 5:33 PM

@mike stangel Thanks, We want to get closer to the one profile idea, not further away from it. This seems to be going backward again

11/9/2011 at 5:36 PM

I've already release a fix, but we cache the results for 24 hours so it'll be a day before you see it change on profiles you've already viewed.

11/10/2011 at 3:04 AM

Have been at odds with Geni's naming convention of using married rather than maiden. In the course of reinventing genealogy, I wonder, why this had to be done? It makes my working with Geni prone to mixups and errors.

Find-a-Grave matching is way too inprecise to be interesting.

Sigh, when can I get a pro account without a credit card?

11/10/2011 at 7:33 AM

I must be missing something here, I don't see any link to Find a Grave.

11/10/2011 at 7:53 AM

Anthony, these searches on external sites let us search against only one name, so we have to choose between what's in the "last name" field vs. what's in the "birth surname" field -- we're certainly willing to fine-tune this if that'll get better results.

I'm sure you know that we also support PayPal.. what payment method are you hoping for?

Eldon: Find A Grave has been added to our external records search (originally just Archives.com and Genealogy Bank) -- you may see a gray button at the top right of some profiles, and there's also a section at the top of search results, for example: http://www.geni.com/search/external?action=external_record_count&am...

11/10/2011 at 8:07 AM

Mike, thanks for that. The one place I didn't look. I thought it would be under the Research tab. This has reminded me that I have five or six Find a Grave photo requests to do :-(

Private User
11/10/2011 at 12:25 PM

Mike Stangel in our country -the Netherlands- a way to pay via your own Bank is iDeal, hope that will be able in the future, for i never buy on the internet, for its ruining all the stores here in our city....

11/10/2011 at 1:24 PM

Private User Please see Mike's message above. You can use PayPal and never use it again or only use it when you need it. PayPal will use your bank or credit car, whichever you prefer.

Private User
11/10/2011 at 1:53 PM

Eldon, - Paypal only support regular bank accounts in the US.

11/10/2011 at 2:38 PM

...and Canada

11/10/2011 at 2:46 PM

OK, I didn't know that. What about the new Google Wallet? has anyone worked with that?

11/10/2011 at 10:29 PM

Private User, I'm not sure why you say PayPal only supports bank accounts in the US? I've been using PayPal since the early days, and have been using Belgian and French bank accounts with it. Is it different in Scandinavia?
In fact, in Europe, PayPal operates as a 'bank' out of Luxembourg.

11/10/2011 at 10:31 PM

If anyone wants to check whether his country's banks are acceptable to PayPal, the best way to start might be this link... https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/?cmd=p/gen/about-outside

11/10/2011 at 10:32 PM

If I may add, anyone who has been shopping on European eBay sites must be familiar with it anyway.

Private User
11/10/2011 at 10:43 PM

I am talking about connecting your Paypal account to your own debit bank account, not a credit-card or paying through another bank.

Private User
11/10/2011 at 10:45 PM

And that 's exactly why we prefer iDEAL, for you can use it with Dutch bank accounts in Euro's.

11/10/2011 at 11:03 PM

Haaaa, I see, Bjorn - yes, you do need a card, it's not directly linked to a 'regular' account. Sorry about the confusion.

11/10/2011 at 11:41 PM

@Mike Stangel, I do use PayPal, but my PayPal account is associated with my checking account, like a debit card, as opposed to a credit card. Yes, just like @Bjørn P. Brox, says. While Geni uses PayPal, it allows only payments from people whose PayPal account is backed by a credit card, not by a debit card or a checking account. I don't know whether or not it would be a collection/billing nightmare, but mayhaps you could sell Geni-Starter-Packs through retailers/booksellers, and they contain a prepaid voucher code, or something like the iTunes card that you buy in the grocery stores. Anyway, I'm chomping at the bit for my Pro account without a credit card.

Showing 1-30 of 38 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion