Sir William Carey, Kt. - Is there more than one William Cary?

Started by Terry Jackson (Switzer) on Saturday, July 7, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 6 posts
7/7/2012 at 1:44 PM

I am beginning to think that there is more than one William Cary
1. married Mary Boleyn son of Sir Thomas Carey (1479–1536), of Chilton Foliat in Wiltshire, and his wife, Margaret Spencer, daughter of Sir Robert Spencer and Eleanor Beaufort.
and
2. married Joan Herle (or Hearle) son of Sir John Cary b. c 1350, d. 1404 & his wife Margaret Holway d/o Robert de Holwell
and This William was Burgess of Bristol.

Any opinions opposing this?

Private User
7/7/2012 at 5:49 PM

Yes Terry both are different and looks like both recently merged. Do you want to fix it? If not I can tomorrow...father in town : )

Private User
7/7/2012 at 6:25 PM

The William were cousins and I have fixed the tree.

Private User
7/7/2012 at 7:43 PM

There were 3 different William Carey's merged. I mastered a lot of profiles to avoid remerging. Feel free to take over any.

7/8/2012 at 5:51 AM

Thanks for all that work Margaret. If I tell you how I came to it you'll see that I'm not worried about being a curator to the Cary tree however I am concerned that it is still not completely correct...
I was looking at the profile of Thomas Bodley famous for the Bodleian Library in Oxford. He married Ann Bodley, formerly Ball
The who's Who of Tudor Women stated (as shown in her about me now)that she was the daughter of Richard Cary (1515-June 1570), a wealthy Bristol merchant, and Joan Holton. If you look at the profile for Unknown Profile you'll see that it is very similar to the one for Richard Cary, the elder. I really am not familiar with this area so would trust your judgement but this looks suspicious to me. What do you think?

Private User
7/8/2012 at 6:55 AM

Yeh, still more work to do, but it was late...It might be that it isn't known if his name was Richard or Robert as both names show up in a search. I will spend some time looking into it more.

http://www.geni.com/merge/resolve/6000000006900951719

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion