Started by Private User on Saturday, March 2, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 17 posts
Private User
3/2/2013 at 8:30 AM

A question has been asked about the parents of John Johnson.

On geni and quite a number of other trees this is shown as "Edmund Johnson and Elizabeth Thorgood"

however on some trees it is shown as "FRANCIS MAURICE JOHNSON (MAURICE1) was born 1524 in Clipsham, England, and died 18 May 1616 in Peterborough, England. He married ELIZABETH THORGOOD 1540 in Wilmington, Kent, England. She was born 1520 in Kent, England."

Can someone please look into this and advise if the information on Geni is correct?

3/2/2013 at 9:21 PM

Private User The one thing I know is that John Johnson, of Pinchbeck & Ayscoughfee Hall was NOT the father of Capt. John Johnson. His parents are unknown.

My opinion is that that part of the tree is based on unsourced Internet trees and I'm not sure that the sources exist to prove the various relationships.

Private User
3/3/2013 at 1:13 AM

Hatte

Can I suggest that you amend the tree on Geni and mark both parents as unknown and add a covering note to this affect.

after that - can you make it a MP so that it cannot be changed.

3/3/2013 at 5:26 PM

Private User - Can you put a link to the profile that you want me to put a note on?

I was referring to my ancestor, Capt. John Johnson, who shows up as the son of John Johnson, of Pinchbeck & Ayscoughfee Hall. That is a common misunderstanding.

Capt John Johnson, his second wife Margery and his six children from his first wife did sale on the Arbella, but the best study I have seen by another descendant went through all the proposed parents for Capt. John Johnson and none of them made logical sense based on geography, class, and age.

I'm hoping someone else who focuses on the aristocracy will look into John Johnson, of Pinchbeck & Ayscoughfee Hall's parents. Maybe Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy,Vol. Curator or others who are working on the projects related to historical counties in England?

3/3/2013 at 5:29 PM

Good job Erica Howton! Thanks. All the correct information is in the project. I have had to continually remove incorrect children from him :( Three more today I see.

3/3/2013 at 7:28 PM

10th most popular surname on geni

http://www.geni.com/surnames/johnson 44,597 profiles

Perhaps you need a list of children in the curator note.

3/3/2013 at 7:54 PM

Yes, Tammy is the curator I think. She is also a relative of the Johnsons.

I am currently adding some sources for Arabella Clinton, she did not marry John Johnson, she was the wife of Isaac Johnson.

I have some information on the John Johnson line from Stirnet, I will post it on the profiles. Sorry to say I was not able to find any visitations for this part of the Johnson line or much else. There is a bit on Our Royal, Titled, Noble, and Commoner Ancestors & Cousins but it seems to be gleaned from RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project, with no other references.

I have also sourced the Isaac Johnson line from The Visitation of the county of Rutland in the year 1618-19 and added other References to his 'About' section.

Okay, for the John Johnson line, would you like to follow the outline from Stirnet? Although I see no children connected to John that are listed on the outline. I can check to see if any are entered on Geni.

At least John Johnson is not connected with parents Geoffrey (Maurice) Johnson & Bridget Harbottle from the Our Royal, Titled, Noble, and Commoner Ancestors & Cousins. There are Profiles for them entered on Geni.

Our Royal, Titled, Noble, and Commoner Ancestors & Cousins also does not have the correct parentage for Hannah Throckmorton according to Stirnet.

Found a son John connected to John & Hannah (Throckmorton) listing his wife as Margaret Or Margery SCUDDER (SCRIDDER) parents of Isaac Johnson (m. Elizabeth PORTER). I take it this is the Capt. John Johnson that Hatte Anne Rubenstein has referred to as not being the son of John Johnson, I and Hannah Throckmorton. I will disconnect him and merge with Capt. John.

The link for Roxbury on Capt. John Johnson's profile is no longer good.

3/4/2013 at 4:44 PM

No, it's wrong Carole. That's Captain John Johnson and his second wife, whose surname is unknown and erroneously said to be Scudder. He is not the son of John Johnson. The parents of Capt. John Johnson are unknown.

3/4/2013 at 4:48 PM

Nicely done Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy,Vol. Curator. You merged him in well.

I fixed the Roxbury link.

11/11/2013 at 3:48 AM

Hi, I wind up in the UK from time to time and would like to try and find John Johnson, d. 4 Feb 1666, Wilmington, Kent, England. Is he buried in Kent?

In our Johnson family tree John Johnson and Hanna Throckmartin are the parents of Solomon Johnson. He was born 1601 Sudbury, Middlesex, Massachusetts, United States.

If this is correct it would appear John Johnson came to the US and then returned to the UK.

any thoughts?

11/11/2013 at 9:35 AM

@Seth - highly unlikely (though theoretically possible) that he was born in 1601 in Massachusetts.

11/11/2013 at 10:09 AM

Very True! my mistake ;-) I did not catch the error until after I sent the email. I was reading some incorrect info and did not catch it right away. Another issue I have found is that there are two Solomon Johnson's on Geni that died on the same day in the same place. .....They list different parents. Trying to figure out if my ancestory goes with Solomon Johnson or Solomon Johnson Sr. or which of these is incorrect. There appears to be an error there. Disregard my previous email.. thanks

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion