God Almighty / אבינו שבשמים / الله . - is this a joke site now?

Started by Baron Raymond Nichols, DD, R-FTA58366 on Monday, May 20, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 7 posts

can i actually believe any of the entries on my tree?

5/20/2013 at 4:44 PM

it's a 50/50 chance that you'll find the truth...

5/20/2013 at 5:11 PM

Well I would certainly believe the God connection even if I doubted the others

5/20/2013 at 5:25 PM

raymond, the false link to god in your tree seems to be here Pharamond, king of the Franks (Fictitious)

Justin Durand ??

5/20/2013 at 5:50 PM

Jason,

With respect, I don't have the energy to follow another flame-war while believers and non-believers hurl insults at one another.

There are hundreds of paths on Geni that lead to the Biblical tree. Some reasonable, some not.

Once you hit the Biblical tree, you're going to get back to G-d.

If someone is interested, they can search the public discussions for all the times this question has been asked and answered.

Better yet, read the Biblical Tree Project:
http://www.geni.com/projects/Biblical-Tree/38

Private User
5/20/2013 at 5:59 PM

Like Justin, I just don't have the will anymore to get involved in discussions about the Biblical tree. I just wanted to point out that you should always look for sources and citations on Geni profiles, just as you would on any other site. I'm not perfect myself, but I try to make sure I upload supporting documents to profiles as I create them. I also write as much as I can in the "About" fields. I know that many other users work the same way -- look at all of our great MPs. In my experience, Geni profiles from the 1600s to the present, which is chiefly where I work, are far more accurate than not.

So if you find profiles that are nice and clean and relatively complete (as complete as a genealogical profile can be, anyway), you can be pretty confident that you have good info. If you can't find citations, you can a) ask the profile creator/manager where they got their info, b) do some research yourself to figure out where they got their info, and/or c) ask a curator to look into the profile to establish veracity.

As far as trusting Geni goes...genealogy is all about verification. You shouldn't trust *any* source if you can't verify the info. I look at Geni as a guide, not a definitive end-word regarding my ancestry. Whenever I merge into a new part of the tree, I try to do some research to make sure I'm doing the right thing and have the right info. I'd encourage you to do that on Geni, on paper, on any website, and everywhere else in your genealogical quest.

And ultimately, it's up to you whether you trust the sources or not. Some people firmly believe in the accuracy of the genealogies from the Bible. Some don't. If you don't believe in those sources, then ignore those connections on Geni.

5/21/2013 at 2:11 AM

Here Here.
Raymond, the entries on *your tree* are as believable as you yourself make them.
On the world tree, any collaborative genealogy site is inevitably going to stretch back to whatever initial points the millions of contributors' histories points it too. It is not logical to expect it to do otherwise.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion