Margaret Beauchamp - Married Walter Buchanan or a Mis-merge

Started by Sharon Doubell on Tuesday, June 4, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 16 posts
6/4/2013 at 2:44 AM

Does anyone have sources to support Margaret Beauchamp's marriage to Sir Walter Buchanan, 11th Chief of Buchanan. We know he married a Margaret, & had children: Walter, Alexander, John, Elizabeth & Jean;
But I'm still looking for evidence that he married this Margaret.
Help?

1/8/2020 at 1:33 AM

Private User says - According to Wikipedia, Margaret Beauchamp married only Guy de Montfort ( Guy de Montfort) and after his death became a nun, d.s.p.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Beauchamp,_11th_Earl_of_Warwick

1/8/2020 at 1:48 AM

So:
Margaret de Beauchamp
Parents: Thomas Beauchamp, 11th Earl of Warwick & Katherine Mortimer,
x Guy de Montfort. ( This marriage was childless. After his death in 1261, she became a nun until 1269.)

1/8/2020 at 1:52 AM

And:
Sir Walter Buchanan of that ilk, 11th Chief of Buchanan
x Margaret (NOT Beauchamp)
Children: Walter, Alexander, John, Elizabeth & Jean.
cf Sir Walter Buchanan, 11th Chief of Buchanan

1/8/2020 at 2:16 AM

I've ported all the children of Margaret Beauchamp to a newly created profile Margaret and locked both profiles' relationships.

1/8/2020 at 2:20 AM

Margaret (NOT Beauchamp)
Parents Unknown
x Sir Walter Buchanan
Three sons: Walter , Alexander, and John
Two daughters: Elizabeth and Jean
cf Margaret

1/8/2020 at 2:21 AM

Sorted - 7 yrs after I posted! Thanks for spotting this Justin :-)

1/2/2022 at 6:53 PM

It appears the question of Margaret Beauchamp had been addressed a couple of years ago, but I see she's still connected as his wife in spite of the curator note that still says:

Sir Walter Buchanan of that ilk, 11th Chief of Buchanan
x Margaret (NOT Beauchamp)

I had read at this link that this Walter's wife was named Margaret but it doesn't give her maiden name:

"11th – Sir Walter Buchanan,[69][70] (Guthrie Smith identifies him as 5th Chief and Buchanan of Auchmar identifies him as 11th Chief) married Margaret and had three sons..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Buchanan

So it seems she may have actually been named Margaret, just not Margaret Beauchamp.

1/2/2022 at 10:12 PM

Hmm - I see it was added back by a user. I'll remove and lock naming fields. Many thanks Debbie.

4/20/2022 at 8:12 AM

Private User says about Margaret

This lady's surname was not Buchanan. Can I suggest that this is misleading and that you consider removing it from her profile.

4/20/2022 at 8:14 AM

Perhaps we can start a Discussion and find articles for the typical historical precedents about Scots women's married names for the time ?
Then we can decide to follow this as a rough template, and we'll have a broad time period to work within as well.

4/20/2022 at 11:24 AM

6.Scots women kept their own name after marriage

"It was always the custom in Scotland – and still so in legal terms today – that a woman does not lose her family name as in England, but continued to be known after marriage by her own name,” he said.Feb 12, 2021

Six rules of love from Scotland through time | The Scotsman

https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/six-rules-love...

—-

I have never seen as reference, such as Will, that references a Scots woman in any other way than her birth surname. And still applies now, as this article claims.

4/21/2022 at 7:21 AM

I seem to be seeing the same thing Erica. I wonder at what period of time this stopped - as I know no Scotswoman today who hasn't changed her name.

Will remove Margaret's Married Name.

4/21/2022 at 4:18 PM

Based on the article, I would suspect that “legally” contemporary Scots women still use original surnames, and the married names you see are colloquial usage. But luckily, they, or family, can clarify for themselves. I don’t think it’s a question for before year 1600 women, they are father’s surname.

4/22/2022 at 10:44 PM

Yup.

Showing all 16 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion