Richard III Plantagenet, King of England - The British High Court rules that remains of Richard III to be buried at Leicester Cathedral.

Начала Aimee C. Speidel von Ofterdingen пятница, 23 мая 2014
Возникла проблема на этой странице?

Участники:

Упомянутые профили:

Проекты:

Показаны все сообщения (14)
23.5.2014 в 9:41 до полудня

The British High Court has ruled it is time for the remains of Richard III "to be given a dignified reburial, and finally laid to rest" in Leicester Cathedral.

Richard's battle-scarred bones were found under a council car park in Leicester in 2012.

Three judges rejected a bid by distant relatives of the king who form the Plantagent Alliance to force Justice Secretary Chris Grayling to set up a wide-ranging public consultation exercise to decide where his final resting place should be.

The costly legal challenge has led to angry condemnation of the alliance by Mr Grayling.

There was applause at Leicester Cathedral as Bishop of Leicester Tim Stevens read out the result to a crowd of supporters and media.

The alliance claimed the exhumation licence granted by the Justice Secretary in September 2012 to the University of Leicester was legally flawed because he had not attached conditions ordering consultations on re-interment.

It also challenged decisions of Leicester City Council and the university regarding the making of arrangements for re-interment in Leicester Cathedral.

The alliance indicated it wanted the remains to be buried at York Minster, claiming that was the wish "of the last medieval king of England", who was known as Richard of York.

The distant relatives' counsel Gerard Clarke told the court at a recent hearing they would be satisfied if a consultation exercise was launched, and suggested Queen Elizabeth II and royal household should be at the top of the list of consultees.

Mr Clarke said it should also include the distant relatives themselves as well as members of the public.

He said the issue was important as the last English king to die in battle "is not just any old bones".

But Lady Justice Hallett, sitting with Mr Justice Ouseley and Mr Justice Haddon-Cave, ruled at London's High Court the legal challenge had failed and there were no public law grounds for interfering with the plans for reburial at Leicester Cathedral.

The three judges said in a joint ruling: "Since Richard III's exhumation on 5th September 2012, passions have been roused and much ink has been spilt.

"Issues relating to his life and death and place of re-interment have been exhaustively examined and debated.

"The Very Reverend David Monteith, the Dean of Leicester Cathedral, has explained the considerable efforts and expenditure invested by the cathedral in order to create a lasting burial place 'as befits an anointed king'."

"We agree that it is time for Richard III to be given a dignified reburial, and finally laid to rest."

In Leicester Bishop Stevens said: "We are, of course, delighted. Here in the cathedral, in the diocese, in the city, in the county, we've waited a long time for this."

He said plans for the reinterment that had been on hold could now progress.

It is currently unclear whether or not the Alliance will seek to appeal. Any further matters stemming from the judgment will be dealt with at a later date.

Welcoming the court ruling, Mr Grayling said: "I have been very clear from the start that the decision to grant an exhumation licence for Richard III was taken correctly and in line with the law.

"I am pleased the court has reached the same conclusion and comprehensively rejected all of the claimant's arguments.

"I am, however, frustrated and angry that the Plantagenet Alliance - a group with tenuous claims to being relatives of Richard III - have taken up so much time and public money.

"This case, brought by a shell company set up by the Alliance to avoid paying legal costs, is an example of exactly why the Government is bringing forward a package of reforms to the judicial review process."

Richard was killed at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485 - ending the Wars of the Roses and the Plantagenet dynasty.

His body was taken to Leicester by supporters of the victorious Henry VII and buried in Greyfriars church, now the site of the council car park.

source: http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0523/619188-richard-iii/

23.5.2014 в 9:52 до полудня

Thanks, Aimee, for posting the ruling on King Richard III's re-interment at Leicester Cathedral. As a member of the Richard III Society, I received this information earlier this morning. This is good news for those of us related to King Richard III.

23.5.2014 в 9:59 до полудня

Yay!

23.5.2014 в 10:09 до полудня

Here's another angle.

Richard III reburial court bid fails
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-27537836

Distant relatives of King Richard III have lost their High Court battle over where his remains should be reburied.

His remains were found in a Leicester car park in 2012 and the city's cathedral was lined up for his tomb, but some wanted him reburied in York.

But a group claiming descent from the king's wider family were granted a judicial review, arguing more views should have been taken into account.

Judges at the High Court said there was "no duty to consult".

In the ruling, they added: "There was no public law grounds for the court to interfere."

'Dignity and honour'

Killed at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485, Richard III was buried in a Leicester church but the building was lost to later development.

Authorities in Leicester said they were delighted at the decision and they looked forward to reinterring the body with "dignity and honour".

The group which brought the challenge, the Plantagenet Alliance, claimed York was a more suitable location for Richard's remains as he had spent his childhood and much of his adult life in the North.

In the court case, they had argued the unique nature of the discovery meant more consultation should have taken place.

Lady Justice Hallett, sitting with Mr Justice Ouseley and Mr Justice Haddon-Cave, ruled there were no public law grounds for interfering with the plans for reburial at Leicester Cathedral.

'Exhaustively debated'

The three judges said in a joint ruling: "Since Richard III's exhumation on 5 September 2012, passions have been roused and much ink has been spilt.

"Issues relating to his life and death and place of reinterment have been exhaustively examined and debated.

"The Very Reverend David Monteith, the Dean of Leicester Cathedral, has explained the considerable efforts and expenditure invested by the cathedral in order to create a lasting burial place 'as befits an anointed King'.

"We agree that it is time for Richard III to be given a dignified reburial, and finally laid to rest."

Stiff drink

The reinterment ceremony has been scheduled for spring 2015 and a new design for the tomb is expected to be revealed in "three or four weeks".

Mr Monteith said: "It's wonderful. We are a place which respects history and our history is a long one. Leicester is taking its place in the story of England.

"There is a great energy about the place and everyone really wants him to be here."

He added: "I will be opening a bottle of champagne that has been chilling for a long time - though to be honest I would have had to drink it if the decision had gone the other way!"

Press conference at Leicester cathedral

The announcement was welcomed by the authorities in Leicester
More details of the ceremony have also been revealed, with the coffin travelling from Bosworth to Leicester before lying by the cathedral's font for a period.

The Richard III Society, which has maintained a neutral stance on where the bones should lie said : "The Society is pleased that the Judicial Review result is now available and we will now take time to consider a full response."

Philippa Langley, whose efforts kickstarted the search for Richard's grave, said: "We were hoping there would be a judgement not just on where he would be buried but also on how he would be buried.

"I've not had a chance to study the judgement closely but there doesn't seem to be any information on what happens to him now."

The Plantagenet Alliance have not yet commented.

23.5.2014 в 11:00 до полудня

Ralphe Nevill, 2nd Baron Raby is my first cousin 17 times removed according to Geni, and Richard III is his 2nd Great Grandson....Is it possible to get an invitation to the interment reburial at Leicester? I'de love to have that correspondence even if I couldn't go, it would be great for doccumentation yes? http://www.geni.com/path/Ralph+de+Neville+2nd+Baron+Neville+de+Raby...

24.5.2014 в 2:49 до полудня

Hello Dale, good idea. I'd like to attend the Richard III's re-interment as well, since he is my 17th great uncle. I'll check with the Society and see what I can learn. Here's my link to Richard III. Richard III, King of England

24.5.2014 в 3:26 до полудня

Thank you, Aimee, good discussion.
I am his FIRST cousin 16X removed - so very interested.
Hope you are well
Cheers
Daphne

Private User
24.5.2014 в 8:50 до полудня

He's supposedly my 1st cousin 17x removed, but there's one link I KNOW is bad ( Nicholas Wyatt, Gent. ), so I think the real relationship is probably more distant.

Private User
24.5.2014 в 8:58 до полудня

I say the link is bad, because the four surviving children of Rev. Hawte Wyatt are named in household accounts in 1639 (George, Edward, John and Anne). They are all underage (there seems to be some confusion as to whether George or Edward was the older) and not a Nicholas in sight.

24.5.2014 в 9:22 до полудня

Ms. Frost: It's a delight to see a clearly DNA based Smile like yours, I am having a Dickens of a time just trying to get to the status of 8th ggson of two illegitimate connections, so I doubt the Windsor's will extend an invitation, but you on the other hand, are in a splendid position to represent the rest of the GENI community...I do wish you good luck in that. Kind regards, a very distant cousin to Richard III ( If you saw my sister Florence, there would be no doubt the connection is much more close than is presently known). DCR 1948

25.5.2014 в 6:34 до полудня

Richard the Third is my 18th great-uncle. I'm glad to know he's finally going to have a proper burial.

25.5.2014 в 7:19 до полудня

Dear Dale, thank you for your kind words. As a Plantagenent, I sincerely hope that I will be able to attend Richard III's re-interment. I don't have any further information about the proposed schedule right now. I'm sure that a date and details have not been established but will be soon. It is great to discover other relatives of Richard III (as well as the many, many other relatives I'm discovering on Geni).

26.5.2014 в 1:42 до полудня

I´m very interested to read more. Richard III of England is my 9th cousin 15 times removed.

29.5.2014 в 1:40 после полудня

May he rest now in peace.

Показаны все сообщения (14)

Зарегистрируйтесь или войдите в систему чтобы участвовать в этом обсуждении