Leo VI 'The Wise', Byzantine Emperor - Name field usage?

Started by Harald Tveit Alvestrand on Friday, June 13, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 11 posts
6/13/2014 at 11:49 AM

At the moment, the display name is set to "Leo VI 'The Wise', Byzantine Emperor", his surname is set to "Λέων" (Leo in Greek characters only), and the rest of his name fields are left blank.

I find the resulting display to be confusing in tree merge view - a Greek name that I can only read with difficulty shows up instead of the Latin-character name I've been looking at a moment ago. Should we make the name "Λέων / Leo" instead, and add "Byzantine Emperor" into his title field, to give more hints that the user is not looking at a different profile?

6/13/2014 at 12:00 PM

please dont use slashes. original language in the name field, english version in the display, you can just mouse over the profile to see the display name.

6/13/2014 at 12:02 PM

the better soltion is to ask that the display name be shown in the merge box when merging

6/13/2014 at 12:35 PM

I'm anxious to do something that works well while we wait for Geni to have truly multilingual name fields. I find the biblical tree solution (with slashes) to work better for me than this one.

Opinions vary....

6/13/2014 at 8:16 PM

It's too bad so many of the name fields are locked by curators who seem to all follow different conventions. Maybe we can get that fixed.

6/15/2014 at 7:49 PM

I've noticed that...and I've noticed that you and I have crossed paths in our lines many times!! Hello Cousin!! Deb Allen Emerson

6/16/2014 at 3:28 PM

I've noticed that a surprising number of profiles have their Occupation field locked, and usually it is blank.

6/16/2014 at 3:37 PM

Alex what do mean by "Locked" ? Curator field locking is not currently available for the occupation field (and some others)

6/16/2014 at 7:53 PM

occupation field is non revisionable therefore you need to collaborate with the manager

6/17/2014 at 2:34 AM

Ah, it just shows up as a little padlock, i had been wondering why anyone would bother with locking empty fields :)

6/17/2014 at 2:35 AM

I assumed it was a relic of Gedcom uploads but that makes more sense.

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion