Erik the Red - Profile clean up

Started by Alex Moes on Monday, September 28, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 5 posts
9/28/2015 at 8:27 PM

I have reverted Erik's name back to the English version for the default tab and added "Eirik Raude" to his Also Known As data.
There are language tabs for Icelandic, Norwegian and Old Norse with appropriate name spellings in each, i have not made a Danish tab as i don't see the point but anyone else is welcome to do so.

The About section was a list of website links a large Danish text and a copy and paste of the English Wikipedia article.
I saved all the links, added a few more and moved them all to the bottom.
I deleted the Danish text, which seemed to be a copy and paste of Danish Wikipedia.
I also deleted the English text copied from Wikipedia as that site can change anytime so copying large chunks of text from it can quickly become redundant.
I put a quick summary and the vital statistics as i understand them.

I have not created multi-lingual About sections as all i could do would be to copy and paste from the Wikipedia articles in those languages.

I set birth date as about 940 as i use a 30 year average for generations, Leif Erikson is currently showing birth 970 and Erik's ancestor Oxen-Thorir 810 so to match the two up means Erik ends up born 940. I have not seen anyone else use this date but the different Wikipedia language sites vary between 950 and 960 so obviously it is just a guessing game!

Private User
9/29/2015 at 4:04 AM

wery good work

9/29/2015 at 3:38 PM

Thank you A

9/29/2015 at 4:37 PM

Excellent use of name and display fields. The only gripe I have is if the date of birth or death is unknown, don't invent one.

9/29/2015 at 5:49 PM

I would have to check again but think that Erik's father was exiled from Norway in 960 so the only "fact" we know is that Erik was born Before 960.
Then we have Leif with a birth date of c 968 (very specific but no indication of a source), this would push Erik's birth back to at least Before 950.
Perhaps a compromise would be to set the birth field as Between 930 and 950?

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion