Betsy Sessions Stebbins (Babcock) - Two Betsy claiming Sessions in their name.

Started by Dan Cornett on Friday, March 3, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 3 posts

It is unclear to me why these two profiles have association with the name Sessions:
daughter: Betsy Barrus
mother: Betsy Sessions Stebbins

The daughter Betsy Barrus is sometimes shown as having been married to an unknown Stebbins with a birth surname of Sessions ... and a corresponding Stebbins as her first son. Yet she's currently shown as the daughter of a Stebbins.

The currently linked mother, Betsy Sessions Stebbins, is shown with a middle name of Sessions, but no apparent 'connection' as to how that name Sessions might have become associated with her.

Based solely on what I see on Geni at this point, I'd suggests the daughter is really a Sessions, not a Stebbins, and the association of the name Sessions with Betsy Sessions Stebbins is a 'smurging' of data somewhere along the way.

Name: Hasadiah Stebbins
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 28 May 1777
Event Place: Brimfield, Hampden, Massachusetts, United States
Event Place (Original):
Birth Year (Estimated):
Father's Name:
Father's Titles and Terms:
Mother's Name:
Mother's Titles and Terms:
Spouse's Name: Betty Sessions Babcock
Spouse's Titles and Terms:
Spouse's Gender: Female
Spouse's Age:
Spouse's Birth Date:
Spouse's Birth Year:
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated):
Spouse's Father's Name:
Spouse's Father's Titles and Terms:
Spouse's Mother's Name:
Spouse's Mother's Titles and Terms:
Certificate Number:
Page:
Reference ID: p-83
GS Film Number: 223943
Digital Folder Number: 007009225
Image Number: 00186

Citing this Record:
"Massachusetts, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records, 1626-2001," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q29G-MGNV : 13 July 2016), Hasadiah Stebbins and Betty Sessions Babcock, 28 May 1777; citing Marriage, Brimfield, Hampden, Massachusetts, United States, , town clerk offices, Massachusetts; FHL microfilm 223,943.

Betsy Sessions Babcock Stebbins grandmother Elizabeth Sessions married a John Babcock: and was also married to a Seth Cutler. That may be where the middle name of Sessions came from.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:1:9HKT-SHY

Hezediah Stebbins

Birth: Oct. 25, 1754
Death: Jan. 12, 1824

STEBBINS Hezediah born 25 Oct 1754 - died 12 Jan 1824 age 70
(Rev War Vet)
born on 17 Oct 1754 in Brimfield, Hampden County, MA.
Abner married Martha (SMITH)Stebbins
He died on 12 Jan 1824 in Silver Creek, Chautauqua County, NY.
Hezadiah married Betsy Sessions BABCOCK 1 daughter of Jonathan BABCOCK and Mary THOMPSON on 22 May 1777 in Monson, Hampden, MA. Betsy was born on 18 Feb 1758 in Brimfield, Hampden County, MA. She died on 3 Oct 1839 in Berrien, MI.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Stebbins...;

Can you make heads or tails out of this?

That set of details seems to describe why the 'mother' information (Betsy Sessions Stebbins) and why she has the middle name Sessions. (And I was able to then connect it into another existing Babcock/Badcock branch.)
I'm okay with that.

What is still a puzzle to me is the parentage & name for wife of Benjamin Barrus ... she has a 1st son named Stebbins (Abdial Hesadiah Stebbins), and all the later children surname Barrus, so it is reasonable that Barrus married a *widow* Stebbins -- ... and that she may not have been born a Stebbins.

There are a lot of 'online' branches showing Betsy Barrus as a child of a Stebbins family -- but I'm not convinced of that yet.

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion