Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 19 posts
4/26/2017 at 6:19 AM

Death Date after November 23, 1699 OR 1682

Private
4/27/2017 at 12:47 AM

I can see this Sharon. Will have a look later on.
Sterfte: Vanaf 1699

Judi

4/27/2017 at 3:56 AM

Great

Private User
4/30/2017 at 5:15 PM

Hi Sharon, I changed it to after 23/11/1699 because of:
"On 23 November 1699,Geertruy Willemse departed the Cape at her own request for Batavia."
http://www.e-family.co.za/ffy/g5/p5312.htm

If we can get more information re: Geertruij's son Willem it might shed light on his mother's situation post 1699.

The information keeps changing with every merge. It disheartening; so much so that some of our best researchers are leaving Geni.com, rather than dealing with the frustration. What's worse is when that information then gets propagated to MyHeritage etc.

We should lock these MPs down tight and only change/update with sufficient discussion/reference. It might actually speed research along, not having to constantly correct MPs?

5/1/2017 at 12:37 AM

Happy to lock it if it seems to you to be vulnerable data, Drummond.

Private User
5/1/2017 at 2:04 AM

You had it set to "Locked - All" then you removed the lock and added "Locked - Death, Living Status, Name". The issue, as I see it, is when other profiles are erroneously merged into the MP. Can that be locked, for merges to be carried out only by curator?

5/1/2017 at 9:12 AM

I like that "locking" idea Drummond. My feeling is if you have the documentation substantiating the facts - lock it. So no one messes with it. A friend of mine, a great researcher, added profiles based on documentation and someone kept on changing it so she opted out and gave up on Geni. Wonder how many are doing this and holding on to valuable information.

5/1/2017 at 9:21 AM

Yes, Drummond - I did that so that those fields automatically resolve in favour of the present data in the fields. It seemed that was what you were asking.

5/1/2017 at 9:29 AM

'Locked all' still allows curators to merge and change data - or query it, as I did. Locking the fields, if the data is adequately sourced, is the way to stop it even coming up as an option.
Charlette please just yell if you have any well sourced data fields that you want a curator to lock. Will do so happily.

5/10/2017 at 6:09 AM

Thanks Sharon. I am busy sourcing every document I can find on my matrilineal line and so far the paper trail is solid. Wonder where my blip is? As luck would have it, in my travels have come up with lots of "lekker" documents confirming siblings of ancestors, their spouses and children. Some super finds.

5/10/2017 at 6:48 AM

Well that's good news, but I really sympathise about the matrilineal link. A non-maternal event must be a very rare thing, if that's the answer to the mystery.

9/23/2017 at 2:05 AM

Birth Location Vollenhove, Steenwijkerland, Overijssel, Nederland OR Zaandam, Zaanstad, North Holland, Netherlands

10/31/2017 at 8:14 AM

Death Location Batavia, Dutch East Indies or Cape Town, Cape, South Africa

Private User
11/12/2017 at 4:26 AM

Hi Sharon, there's a document that Corney found:
4 Amsterdam - retroacta van de Burgerlijke Stand, Archief van de Burgerlijke Stand: doop-, trouw- en begraafboeken van Amsterdam (retroacta van de Burgerlijke Stand), Huwelijksintekeningen van de Kerk, DTB 495, p.303, kindly supplied by Corney Keller
page 303
13 Sep 1670
ondertrouw
Compareerden Hans Helmis van Lubeck varensgesel oud
26 jare ouders doot geast. met Boij Magnus
woont opd Geldersekaij &Gerretie Willems
van Sardam oud 19 jare geast. met haer groot
moeder Annetie Mijnders woont ind Houttuinen

i.e. Sardam, Saerdam and Zaandam I believe were, essentially, interchangeable.

Private User
11/12/2017 at 4:29 AM

Death location is not quite as straightforward. Mansell Upham is quoted on First Fifty Project stating: On 23 November 1699,Geertruy Willemse departed the Cape at her own request for Batavia. However, she and her husband, Gerrit Jansz van Wijnegom, are still listed in the 1701 muster roll. It's not cut and dry, as far as I understand.

11/13/2017 at 5:38 AM

Thank you - wiil update.

3/24/2020 at 5:47 AM

Death Location Jakarta, Jakarta, Indonesia Kaapstad, Cape Town, WC, South Africa
Still haven't decided how to resolve this, given what Drummond said above in 2017

6/17/2020 at 6:02 AM

I found this online:
precis of the archives of the Cape of Good Hope, Letters Despatched 1696-1708, H.C.V. Leibrandt; CD-ROM (Cape Town, South Africa: W.A. Richards & Sons, Government Printers, 1896), p.149. [26 March 1700] Gertruida Willems Eerst [first] wife of Willem Helmit, and now of Gerrit Jansz of Wynegum [Wijnegem?], who has with her son returned hither in the “Handboogh”, we sent to Batavia, because she and her husband had always quarelled and finally separated. He earned a living among the freemen, and she also with her handiwork, but as she believed that she would succeed better in India, she begged us to be sent thither, offering to pay her passage money. Though we strongly dissuaded her, we finally consented, but unwillingly. She left with her husband's consent. [W.A. van der Stel No. 23, p. 827. To Batavia. To Governor-General W. v. Outhoorn and Council.]

6/17/2020 at 11:13 AM

That's so great - please add it to her profile overview.

Showing all 19 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion