Daniel Ferguson - Separating Alexander Fergusons of Scotland c.1700

Started by Dan Cornett on Wednesday, May 10, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 3 posts
5/10/2017 at 7:40 AM

Dale Gieringer wrote:

"I don't believe that Annie Laurie's husband, Alexander Ferguson of Craigdarroch. ever emigrated to Virginia. Historians of Parliament [http://historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1715-1754/member/fergus... History of Parliment-Alexander Fergusson] record that Alexander Ferguson, the 14th Laird of Craigdarroch, was a loyal servant of the Crown, served in Parliament in 1715-22 and died in Scotland in 1749.

He has been widely confused with another Alexander Ferguson, a Jacobite rebel who was deported to Virginia in 1716 on the ship Elizabeth and Anne according to David Dobson's "Directory of Scots Banished to the American Plantations, 1650-1775”. That Alexander Ferguson is mentioned in Virkus' General Compendium of Genealogy Vol 5, p. 510 as the father of a Daniel Ferguson of Essex Co, Va and grandfather of another Alexander Ferguson (1740=1817) who fought in the American Revolution.

Also, while Virkus says that Alexander came to America from Craigdarroch, according to “Records of the Clan and Name of Fergusson, Ferguson and Fergus” (Supplement by James Ferguson and Robert Menzies Fergusson, Edinburgh 1899), he actually came from Balyonkan.

A lot of internet genealogies are inaccurately claiming that Alexander Ferguson the Revolutionary War soldier from Virginia was a descendant of Alexander Ferguson of Craigdarroch, wife of Annie Laurie. I don't believe the evidence supports this.

Sincerely,

Dale Gieringer, Oakland CA"

5/10/2017 at 7:45 AM

Before disconnecting Daniel Ferguson from Alexander Fergusson of Craigdarroch and Anna 'Annie' Laurie, let's sort-out which of the current 6 children should remain with them and which are the siblings of Daniel (and thus should be moved along with him to an Alexander-from-Balyonkan).

Tagging Dale Gieringer into this discussion ...

5/10/2017 at 12:53 PM

Unfortunately, I have no idea who Daniel Ferguson's siblings were. Nor am I 100% certain that his father was Alexander the Jacobite from Balyonkan, though that seems most likely. I'm not even sure whether Daniel was born in Scotland or Virginia. The evidence I have that his father was Alexander the Jacobite comes from the testimony c. 1930 in Virkus of a descendant, Mary Beaumont Statham, who wasn't 100% reliable about other matters.
As for the children of Alexander of Craigdarroch and Annie Laurie, I would most trust the Scottish sources cited in the Fergus(s)on Y-DNA Project: http://dna.cfsna.net/GEN/Scotland/Dumfries/Alexander_F_and_Annie_La...
They list the children as Jean (b. 1711), James (b. 1713), Elizabeth (b. 1714, d. young) and Robert (b. 1715). Of course, these names recur frequently among other Ferguson families.
We do know the name of Daniel's children from his will. They were Alexander (the Revolutionary War soldier), Elizabeth and Margaret.

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion