Related Projects:

Showing all 15 posts
Private User
8/3/2017 at 3:25 PM

Maven B. Helms
7/31/2017 at 9:08 PM

Managers of Agnes Campbell,

I am contacting you about this profile: Ann 'Agnes' Campbell

Evidence has been found that John Miller Jr's wife was NOT the "Agnes" Campbell who was the daughter of Sir Duncan Campbell, Bart.

According to the "Black Book of Taymouth" https://archive.org/stream/blackbookoftaymo00inneuoft#page/n89/mode... and https://archive.org/stream/blackbookoftaymo00inneuoft#page/24/mode/2up, Sir Duncan's third daughter (of four), named "Annas", was married to "the laird of Inchemertene", therefore not to any common John Miller. (The text is written in "braid Scots" dialect but is intelligible with a little patience.)

Sincerely,

Maven B. Helms

=========================================================

Maven B. Helms
7/31/2017 at 9:23 PM

Found the name of Annas/Anne/Agnes' husband: Sir Patrick Ogilvie of Inchmartin (d. bef. 1624).

VIII. Sir PATRICK, who succeeded his grandfather, and got a charter, under the great seal, domino Patricio Ogilvie, &c.* of the lands and barony of Inchmartin, and others, anno 1593.

He married Margaret, daughter of sir George Haliburton of Pitcur,* by whom he had two sons.

1. Sir Patrick, his heir.

2. William, who having been witness to the slaughter of Patrick Kinnaird of Inchture, got a remission under the great seal, Willielmo Ogilvie, filio legitimo Patricii Ogilvie de Inch∣martin, &c.* dated 8th December 1594.

He was succeeded by his eldest son,

* IX. Sir PATRICK, who, in his father's lifetime, got a charter from king James VI. Patricio, juniori de Inchmartin,*et Annae Camp∣bell suae sponsae, baroniae de Inchmartin, &c. dat∣ed 8th January 1611.

Page 262 He died before the year 1624, leaving is∣sue, by the said Anne, daughter of sir Dun∣can Campbell of Glenorchie, ancestor of the earl of Breadalbane, a son,

X. Sir PATRICK OGILVIE, who succeed∣ed him, and got a charter under the great seal,* of the lands and barony of Inchmartin, and several others, in Perthshiue, dated 1st July 1624.

He married lady Elizabeth Ogilvie, eldest daughter of James first earl of Finlater, who, with the approbation of the crown, succeeded to the honours,* as before observed, and was the second earl of Finlater.

He was a man of great honour and merit, a steady loyalist, and suffered many hardships on account of his attachment to the interest of the royal family. He was excepted from pardon by Oliver Cromwell,* and fined in fif∣teen hundred pounds sterling, anno 1654.

He died anno 1658, leaving issue, by the said lady Elizabeth, countess of Finlater, a son and successor,

XI. JAMES, third earl of Finlater...

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/ecco/004896980.0001.000/1:107?rgn=div1;...

=====================================================================================

Terry Jackson (Switzer)
yesterday at 2:41 PM

This is interesting Maven, I wonder though, who, if she existed, was Agnes who married a John Miller.

It's a little hard to tell from previous merges if there was a bad merge or not. As curator I'm not absolutely sure where I got my information from. I did some work on Campbells from a book I have got but this isn't one that I've added so suspect it's not one of these.

I wouldn't object to you making the changes you speak about as long as the About Me reflects both the changes and what was held previously.

Of course first we should try to discover where the various Miller descendants belong.

Terry

=====================================================================================

Maven B. Helms
yesterday at 3:28 PM

There's one bunch of Millers who immigrated to Massachusetts and from there to Vermont, and a different bunch who immigrated to Virginia. They're always getting mixed up with each other because careless researchers *will* misread "Vermont" for "Virginia" or vice versa.

Terry Jackson (Switzer)
Today at 12:56 PM

Maven, I think it may be worth sharing this as perhaps as a discussion with managers of John Miller as the about me seems to be fairly certain of his marriage to this Agnes.

8/3/2017 at 6:44 PM

Terry Jackson (Switzer) please update the curator note (or I will, if you like:

This is the Master Profile for Agnes Campbell.
Curator Note from Terry Jackson (Switzer) (2/16/2016):
Agnes Campbell
D/o Sir Duncan Campbell of Glenorchy, 1st Baronet and Janet Stewart
m: John Miller, Jr.
Issue: James Miller of York County, VA; John Miller, the 3rd and James Miller Sr.

------

She did not have any known children named James that I know of.

James Miller of York County, Virginia is parents unknown.

James Miller of Charlestown, Massachusetts at least was Scots, but his father was known only as "senior" and his mother's name is not known.

This was quite snarled up! But I think fixed now?

Private User
8/3/2017 at 7:02 PM

Not until we get the two Anne/Agnes Campbells disentangled.

Anne/Annas/Agnes Campbell, daughter of Sir Duncan Campbell, Bart., married Sir Patrick Ogilvie of Inchmartin and had nothing whatsoever to do with Virginia.

Agnes Campbell (if that was her name), wife of John Miller, Jr., is of unknown parentage.

8/3/2017 at 7:02 PM

Actually we need to rewrite the note altogether, she did not marry an Ulster Scot named Miller.

This translates from the "braid Scots" a bit.

From http://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/ecco/004896980.0001.000/1:107?rgn=div1;...

> IX. Sir Patrick OGILVIE of Inchmartin, who, in his father's lifetime, got a charter from king James VI. Patricio, juniori de Inchmartin,*et Annae Camp∣bell suae sponsae, baroniae de Inchmartin, &c. dated 8th January 1611.

He died before the year 1624, leaving issue, by the said '''Anne, daughter of sir Duncan Campbell of Glenorchie''', ancestor of the earl of Breadalbane, a son,

X. Sir PATRICK OGILVIE, who succeed∣ed him, and got a charter under the great seal,* of the lands and barony of Inchmartin, and several others, in Perthshiue, dated 1st July 1624.  Who married lady Elizabeth Ogilvie, eldest daughter of James first earl of Finlater ....

Private User
8/3/2017 at 7:09 PM

Okay, Now she needs to be CUT from John Miller, and replaced with an Agnes Campbell (parents unknown).

Private User
8/3/2017 at 7:22 PM

Done. I see the Ulster Millers stayed in Ireland for quite some time after James Miller settled in Virginia.

Frankly, I'm also suspicious of the whole Mackay connection, not least because it was put up by a Bogus Historical Profile ("Arabella Strachey", deleted).

8/3/2017 at 8:57 PM

The Mackay's are definitely suspect, it's a proposed line, without supporting evidence, for our current President.

I've tracked the Ulster Scots down tree, there's a very good page here:

From http://www.millerfamilyhistory.com/Gayen%20Miller%20Connection.htm

>Regarding Gayen Miller's ancestry, my take on the DNA results is that:

>Gayen Miller (b. 1674), Samuel Miller (b. 1680) and James Miller (b. 1669) were cousins or brothers Gayen Miller arriving first from Ireland, with his cousins following in the 1720's..

>Based on the most recent testing Gayen Miller is likely descended from John Miller (b. 1555 Glenorchy, Lorn, Scotland) and Barbara Mackay (1555-1580), parents of John Miller who married Agnes Campbell, grandparents of John Miller who married Alice Porter, great grandparents of Isaac Miller, whose grandsom Samuel Miller was born abt 1700 and died in Chester County PA in 1771.

-----

Here is a starter profile for Samuel Miller

8/3/2017 at 9:48 PM

OK I fixed the Mackay - she cannot have died in Bighouse in 1612. I wrote to the profile manager to take a look at the kids who are not John. Have not yet looked at parents of John Miller, of Glenorchy

8/3/2017 at 10:01 PM

This John Miller, of Dublin has wrong parents. He's Anglo Irish, not Ulster Scots, according to profile notes. I'm disconnecting and giving him a new father, hopefully we can find his English mother.

8/3/2017 at 10:19 PM

And here we have another Virginia arriver supposedly descended from that Highland lass Agnes Campbell ...

Rev. Alexander Miller, Sr., of Cooks Creek

8/3/2017 at 10:43 PM

Rev Alexander's profile notes are suspect. For example he's a "grandson of the 3rd Earl of Antrim"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_MacDonnell,_3rd_Earl_of_Antrim

Catholic ! No.

Private User
8/4/2017 at 5:16 AM

Curator's note on Ann 'Agnes' Campbell still needs rewriting, as it still claims she "married John Miller", when we now know she didn't. And none of those Millers were her children.

8/4/2017 at 3:09 PM

Sorry, I've been out today. It's changed now.

8/4/2017 at 4:18 PM
Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion