John Goodale 1566-1625 of Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England

Started by Roland Henry Baker, III on Monday, July 23, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 25 posts
7/23/2018 at 6:41 PM

Note sure if anyone wants to take this project on but John(A) Goodale 1566-1625 of Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England could use a clean up:

John Goodale, of Great Yarmouth

There have been some excellent research done on him lately:

Myrtle Stevens Hyde, FASG, Additions to the Ancestry of Richard1 Goodale of Salisbury, Massachusetts in The American Genealogist (2011) 85: 134--140

Myrtle Stevens Hyde, FASG, Richard Taylor of Wyberton, Lincolnshire, and the Taylor-Goodale Family of Newbury, Massachusetts, With a Note on Dorothy (Whitrent?), Wife of Richard1 Goodale in The American Genealogist (2018) 90:67+

Plantagenet Ancestry: A Study In Colonial And Medieval Families, Volume II, 2nd edition, Douglas Richardson, Kimball G. Everingham, editor (2011) p 2011

Scott C. Steward and Christopher C. Child, The Descendants of JUDGE JOHN LOWELL of Newburyport, Massachusetts (2011)

And two older works of very high quality:

Walter Goodwin Davis, The ancestry of Abel Lunt, 1769-1806, of Newbury, Massachusetts:
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89061963823;view=1up;seq=119

TAG 22:17-21
https://www.americanancestors.org/databases/american-genealogist-th...

The tree should look like this:

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/59016579/person/48...

Edits:

John(A) Goodale should have only two wives:

1) Bridget Portler 1567-1607

2) Elizabeth (Parlett) Taylor widow of Richard Taylor of Wyberton, Lincolnshire, England

His children are listed here and are identical to my tree above:

https://web2.americanancestors.org/databases/american-genealogist-t...

Children by first wife: Frances, Ellen, John, Richard(1) Goodale, Thomas, Rebecca, Elizabeth

Children by 2nd wife: John, Christopher Elizabeth(1), Thomas, Hester, Joseph, Benjamin, Mordechaus, Mary.

His second wife daughter of Daniel and Ann Elisabetha Parlett married first bef 1606 Richard Taylor who died testate and was buried in Wyberton, Lincolnshire, England 28 May 1609. They had children Susan(1) Taylor, Jane Taylor and Peter Taylor.

The other wives shown on GENI for John(A) Goodale should be disconnected.

7/23/2018 at 7:04 PM

I added notes and sources at the top of the profile including bp for all his children. I left the old notes below with a warning.

7/24/2018 at 12:02 AM

Working on it.

Who is this woman then & how do we correct her notes ?

Ann Pierce

7/24/2018 at 12:36 AM

And who is this fellow?

Robert Goodale, of Salem

7/24/2018 at 4:35 AM

=? "Who is this woman then & how do we correct her notes ? Ann Pierce "

Erica - you are fast! Thanks!

She is identical to Ann Lowell daughter of Percival Lowell of Newbury:

Ann Pierce

She should be merged into Ann Lowell.

Thomas Millard or Milward had only one wife who was Ann Lowell daughter of Percival Lowell of Newbury who he married presumably in England. He died Boston 29 Dec 1653. They had three children Rebecca, Ann and Elizabeth. She married second on 26 Dec 1654 to Daniel Peirce or Peirce, Blacksmith of Newbury as his second wife. They had no children. (Daniel Peirce had married first a wife who is recorded as both Katherine and Sarah [Anderson prefers Katherine]. Daniel and Katherine Peirce had children Daniel, Sarah, Joshua and Martha).

Earlier genealogist had mistaken Ann Lowell of Ann Goodale and in the process invented a daughter Ann Goodale. But she was *not* a daughter of John(A) Goodale, she was sister-in-law and not sister literally of Elizabeth Goodale via Lowell; See also he Ancestry of Phoebe Tilton, 1775-1847, 459, 217

But this was disproved and the correct identification was published in:

Walter Goodwin Davis, "John Goodale of Great Yarmouth," The American Genealogist 22 (1945):17-21;

Walter Goodwin Davis, The ancestry of Phoebe Tilton, 1775-1847, wife of Capt. Abel Lunt of Newburyport, Massachusetts (1947), 218-9

This source on the Lower family is very good:
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89065996662;view=1up;seq=236

See also:

Brandon Fradd and Douglas Richardson, "The Royal Ancestry of Percival Lowell," New England Historical and Genealogical Register 157 (2003):309-315 @ 310

Goodwin:

"The two daughters, Joanna and Anne, who are herein credited to Percival Lowle, are considered by several competent genealogists to have been the children of John and Elizabeth Goodale of Great Yarmouth ... As a widow, Elizabeth Goodale came to New England and settled in Newbury, where her daughter Elizabeth married Percival Lowel's son John. In her will Elizabeth (Goodale) Lowle names the husbands of Joanna and Anne among her four "brothers...John Goodale of Great Yarmouth, [Elizabeth's] father, however, made a very careful and highly genealogical will in 1625, and neither in this document nor in the regular baptismal records of his children do daughters Joanna and Anne appear... It would seem to be the sound conclusion that the husbands of Joanna and Anne were Elizabeth's "brothers" as husbands of her two Lowle sisters-in-law ..."

This can also be seen in the Great Migration for Daniel Pierce:
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/2496/42521_b158316-00570?pid=3...

Scott C. Steward and Christopher C. Child, The Descendants of Judge John Lowell of Newburyport, Massachusetts (Boston 2011) 2-7

Also the origins and parents of both Thomas Millard/Milward and Daniel Pierce/Peirce are still unknown according to The Great Migration Directory. They should get NN parents.

7/24/2018 at 4:46 AM

=> "And who is this fellow? Robert Goodale, of Salem "

The origins and kinship of Robert Goodale, of Salem have not yet been discovered.

Anderson does a good treatment of in in Robert Goodale, in Anderson, Robert Charles; George F. Sanborn; and Melinde Lutz Sanborn. The Great Migration: Immigrants to New England, 1634-1635. (NEHGS, 1999-2011), Vol 3 pp 101-108

https://www.americanancestors.org/databases/great-migration-immigra...

A couple of older but good treatments include:

Walter Goodwin Davis, Lydia Harmon Anc 33-44

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89066181652;view=1up;seq=47

Mary Lovering Holman Scott Gen 210

https://archive.org/stream/scottgenealogyde00holm#page/210/mode/1up

7/24/2018 at 5:49 AM

I went ahead and merged Ann into Ann Pierce (Lowell), widow Milward and added some notes:

Ann Pierce

7/24/2018 at 5:59 AM

At this point all her relationships are now correct, we should probably lock them so she doesn't stray:

Ann Pierce

7/24/2018 at 6:30 AM

We could MP and lock Richard Taylor:

Richard Taylor, of Wyberton

I also update two of his children but can't update Susanna.

Susanna Tappan

Her vitals should be:

Susan "Susanna" Taylor bp Sep [Torn] 1606 Wyberton, Lincolnshire, England d 20 Mar 1689/90 Newbury, MA

7/24/2018 at 8:10 AM

Here's another interesting myth buster while we are on the topic of Susanna (Taylor Toppan) and her husband Abraham Toppan

Dr. Abraham Tappan

Brandon Fradd, Abraham Toppan Was Not a Yorkshire Man, in The New England Historical and Genealogical Register. (Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society), 161 :92-94, 2007.

Abrahm1 Toppan was not bp 10 Apr 1606 in Coverham, Yorkshire, England son of William Toppan of that parish! That was based on the work of the notorious Horatio Gates Somerby (who is well known for publishing fraudulent maternal). The registers in question don't even begin until 1707; Somerby presented a fictional pedigree. The author discusses other problematic issues with this work.

https://web2.americanancestors.org/databases/new-england-historical...=

Looks like we should remove his parents as well and lock in some NN parents.

7/25/2018 at 8:23 AM

Can we lock these parents to Dr. Abraham Tappan?

NN Tappan

7/25/2018 at 9:19 AM

I corrected the children of John Goodale, Elizabeth Parlett, Bridget Portler and Richard Taylor and sorted the birth orders.

Elizabeth Goodale, widow Taylor

Richard Taylor, of Wyberton

Bridget Goodale

The only problem is Elizabeth Goodale here who should be sorted as youngest daughter not eldest but the sorting is locked:

Elizabeth Goodale, (died young)

The correct birth order is given on the profile of John Goodale, etc.

I found and merged in several other trees. I was surprised the family of John Lowell of Newbury and wife Elizabeth Goodale wasn't even linked up the this tree yet! Well it is now.

We should probably lock relationships before it gets scrambled by someone reading "Old Families of Salisbury" or Savage which are wrong.

7/25/2018 at 10:15 AM

Everything was looking good until I got down to Richard Goodale of Salisbury 1594. He died 8 SEP 1666 but I can't update the date because the date is locked. He had two children Richard and Ann and a granddaughter Hubbard in his will. He is known to have arrived with both children and his wife Dorothy who is believed to be the Dorothy of this wedding allegation:

1622 :Oct 22. Richard Goodall, of City of London, Gent., & Dorothy Whitrents, of precint of St. Martin le Grand; at St. Leonard in said precinct." Marriage Allegations issued by the dean and chapter of Westminster TAG 90:70

But then on GENI he has a dozen children. Most of them seem to be the children of *Robert* Goodale. So there must have been a bad merge somewhere. I'll see if I can walk them over. And then a few oddballs that'll need to be cut loose.

7/25/2018 at 10:34 AM

Nope! I don't have the superpowers to move these so I can't merge them with the children of Robert so I'll just disconnect them for now:

Elizabeth Goodale

Elizabeth Bennett

Zachariah Goodale

Abraham Goodale

Isaac Goodale

Nehemiah Goodale

Those all belong with Robert Goodale but need to be merged since they already exist on Robert. Most of them are lone profiles so no big deal if they float but a curator may wish to merge them but Zachariah Goodale has a spouse and family so that would be good to get merged.

Then this lady from Plymouth:

Mary Ewell

Isn't a Goodale at all. I'll change her name to Mary Unknown which is who she is according to the Great Migration Project. That cleans up the children of Richard Goodale.

7/26/2018 at 4:38 PM

Back to cleaning up in this area. Do we know where this Goodale family belongs?

Walter Moorefleet

7/26/2018 at 6:35 PM

(I Answered my own question and merged in a zombie tree)

Detaching Martha Gooddale from husband Thomas Goodale, (again) as I presume he died young

7/26/2018 at 7:02 PM
7/27/2018 at 5:42 AM

Elizabeth Goodale (Partlett)
Elizabeth Goodale

And John Goodale:
Thomas Goodale

Are meant to be identical to:
Elizabeth Goodale (Partlett)
Elizabeth Goodale, widow Taylor

And John(A) Goodale:

Except the facts are basically correct on the later couple and confused on the former. So we have two trees that should be identical. I'll refer to the later as the "main" tree and the former as a "second" tree.

The reason this second tree exists is because the origins of Robert1 Goodale of Salem are not known. His genealogy was published (without an origin theory) in:

Walter Goodwin Davis, Lydia Harmon Anc 33-44
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89066181652;view=1up;seq=47

Mary Lovering Holman Scott Gen 210
https://archive.org/stream/scottgenealogyde00holm#page/210/mode/1up

These are both solid works.

And then in 1984 an amateur named George E Williams published a genealogy:

George E Williams, A genealogy of the descendants of Robert Goodale/Goodell of Salem, Mass West Hartford, Conn. (West Hartford, CT: 1984)
https://openlibrary.org/books/OL2586112M/A_genealogy_of_the_descend....

He included an origin theory for Robert Goodale of Salem which The Great Migration Project concludes is completely wrong in Anderson's Sketh for Robert Goodale of Salem:
https://www.americanancestors.org/databases/great-migration-immigra...

The reason being that the Robert bp in 1601 (about the right age for Robert of Salem) son of Robert and Joan (Artys) Goodell of Dennington is in fact followed by the bp of a second Robert on 171 March 1611 proving that this first Robert died young by 1611 and is therefore not the Robert Goodale of Salem! And the second Robert is too young to be identical to the immigrant. This fact was completely ignored by George E Williams which puts great doubt regarding his skill as a genealogical researcher. So the Great Migration projects rejects this identification.

Furthermore Internet researchers have taken the meager records they have of the marriage Robert and Joan (Artys) Goodell of Dennington and the bp of their children and then built a whole tree based on the tree of Richard1 Goodale of Salisbury and Elizabeth1 (Goodale) Lowell of Newbury without any justification at all. So this is drive by genealogy at its very best. Just throw it against the wall and see if it sticks. But now that we have very recently published and very detailed analysis of John(A) Goodale and his two wives Bridget Portler and Elizabeth Parlett in The American Genealogist we can conclude without a doubt that there is no relationship of this family to Robert and Joan (Artys) Goodell of Dennington. At least we know they were not the parents of Robert Goodale. So the tree should start at Robert and Joan (Artys) Goodell of Dennington with no parents of Robert and the children given in the bp records for Robert and Joan (Artys) Goodell of Dennington including two sons named Robert neither of which is Robert Goodale of Salem.

So do we delete that whole second tree for John Goodale, etc. or try to merge it in without destroying all the accurate information in the primary tree? I guess we would need to MP and lock up the primary tree first?

7/27/2018 at 5:51 AM

I should point out (to be fair to the researchers on GENI who constructed this second tree) that in my review on the trees on Ancestry.com, Wikitree, Werelate and FamilySearch I did not find a single tree that was even marginally close to extensive published information about the Goodale family. Every tree I've found was a jumble of random names, dates and places not even resembling the published data or primary sources. So as far as I know GENI is now the first public tree to have an accurate representation of the family of Richard1 Goodale of Salisbury and Elizabeth1 (Goodale) Lowell and their parents John(A) Goodale and his two wives Bridget Portler and Elizabeth Parlett, etc. So if we can trim this other tree of Robert and Joan (Artys) Goodell of Dennington and give him some NN parents an delete everything above Robert that we'll be way ahead of the game on GENI.

7/27/2018 at 6:49 AM

I'm going to start merging, etc. so we can start a sold base for the Goodale tree. Let MP and lock John (C) Goodale and his NN parents and wife Ann to his five sons as a start:

John Goodale

John (C) Goodale
• He is the first known ancestor of this Goodale family. His parents are unknown
• born c 1509 Fincham, Norfolk, England
• married by 1530 Ann Unknown in St. Martin, Finscham, Norfolk, England
• Ann married second 4 Nov 1546 in Fincham, Norfolk, England to William Pope
• Children surname Goodale: Richard, William, Thomas the elder, John, Thomas the younger
• Children by Ann and her second husband William Pope surname Pope: Ann
Biography
John(C) Goodale of Fincham, Norfolk, England was born say 1509, and his wife's name was Anne. In his will of 7 Jun 1546, he stated that he lived in the parish of St. Martin in Fincham. He bequeathed 40s. to each of his five son, stating that Anne was their mother and that they were all under the age of 20. The only specific items he mentioned were his house, cattle, horse(s), and sheep. He was buried 16 Jun 1546 in Fincham St. Martin, as "John Goodayle the elder."
Widow Anne remarried on 4 Nov 1546, in Fincham St. Martin, to William Pope. He was apparently a widower. The only Pope entry in the parish before the November nuptials was buried on 8 Oct 1546, of Joan Pope daughter of William. William and Anne became the parents of at least one daughter , Ann, christened 9 Oct 1547 in Fincham St. Martin. No further record was found of this family.
Children of John(C) and Anne Goodale
All born in Fincham, Norfolk:
1. Richard Goodale b 1535 buried Sep 1588, testate will dated 12 Jul 1587
2. William Goodale b 1537 not named in the will of his brother Richard
3. Thomas (B) Goodale, the elder b 1539 married Em ___. Named in the will of his father. His sons John and Robert were legatees of his brother Richard's 1587 will.
4. John Goodale bp 5 Aug 1541 Fincham St. Martin, named in his father's will, deceased by 1587 (not named in his brother's will. He had a son Richard.
5. Thomas Goodale the younger bp Mar 1544/5 in FIncham St. Martin named in both the will of his father and the will of his brother Richard. He had sons Thomas and William. He had a wife Ellen buried 12 Nov 1593 in Downham Market.
Source
1. Myrtle Stevens Hyde, FASG, Additions to the Ancestry of Richard1 Goodale of Salisbury, Massachusetts in The American Genealogist (Demorest, GA, David L Green, April 2011) 85:134--140
2. Davis,Walter Goodwin. Massachusetts and Maine Families in the Ancestry of Walter Goodwin Davis (1882-1966). (Baltimore, Maryland, United States: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1996), 2:31-4.
3. Walter Goodwin Davis, "John Goodale of Great Yarmouth," The American Genealogist (New Haven, CT: D. L. Jacobus, 1945-6): 17-21 link
4. Walter Goodwin Davis, The ancestry of Abel Lunt, 1769-1806, of Newbury, Massachusetts (Portland, Maine, 1963) 101-7 link

7/27/2018 at 8:48 AM

Two more we should MP and Lock:

Widow Elizabeth (Unknown) Goodale
Elizabeth Goodale

Unknown Goodale (Not John Goodale)
Thomas Goodale

== Widow Elizabeth Goodale (Unknown) ==
* Facts We know about Widow Elizabeth Goodale (Unknown)
* The identity of her husband is unknown. She did not marry John Goodale as shown on some Internet trees.
* Elizabeth was buried on 05 March 1601/02, Dennington, Suffolk,England. Her will is summarized by Waters in "Genealogical Gleanings": Elizabeth Goodale of Dennyngton, widow, 1 March 1601/02, proved 7 March 1601/02.
* She names her children: Alice, Thomas, William, Margaret, John, George and Robert.
* She states that daughter Margaret is wife of William Downing and mother of Margaret Downing
* She states that daughter Alice is wife of Henry Killham and is no doubt the mother of immigrant Austin Kilham
* She is *Not* the mother of Robert Goodale of Salem, MA per The Great Migration
* Likewise there is *no* evidence that Kathrine the wife of Robert Goodale of Salem, MA is related to this family as has been proposed per The Great Migration.
== Sources ==
# Robert Goodale in Anderson, Robert Charles; George F. Sanborn; and Melinde Lutz Sanborn. The Great Migration: Immigrants to New England, 1634-1635. (NEHGS, 1999-2011), Vol 3 pp 101-108
# Great Migration Newsletter, (Online Database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2018.) 17:29, 2:24, 4:5
# Waters, Genealogical Gleanings in England: Elizabeth Goodale, The New England Historical and Genealogical Register. Boston, MA: NEHGR, 1898) 52:238-39
# William Stowell Mills, The Early Kilhams, The New England Historical and Genealogical Register. (Boston, MA: NEHGR, 1902) 56:344+
# Paige, Lucius R. List of Freemen. New England Historical and Genealogical Register. (New England Historic Genealogical Society, Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct 1849), 3:188.
# Austin Killam, in Anderson, Robert Charles. Marriages of Promise. American Genealogist (D.L. Jacobus). (Jan 1992), 67:53-54.
# Austin Kilham, in Savage, James. A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England: Showing Three Generations of Those Who Came Before May, 1692, on the Basis of Farmer's Register. (Boston: Little, Brown, and Co, 1860-1862), 3:21.
# Perley, Sidney. Killam Genealogy. Essex Institute Historical Collections (Essex Institute Press). (Jul 1913), 49:210-14.

7/27/2018 at 9:41 AM

Here's another one that needs unlocking:

Robert Goodale of Dennington:
Robert Goodale, of Dennington

No published source has ever determined who his parents were. There is no bp record for him. He certainly was not the son of John Goodale as shown because that John Goodale is known to have died young and not married. He may or may not have been the son of widow Elizabeth (Unknown) Goodale and her unknown Goodale husband because she names a son Robert Goodale in her will. But that has never been established by any further evidence. There were a lot of Goodale families around. He therefore should definitely be detached from father John Goodale. And he should probably be linked to two NN parents until further evidence is found to establish who his parents are. We know from Anderson in the Great Migration that he was no father of Robert Goodale of Salem, MA. And as shown he is step-father to Edward1 French of Salisbury and as of TAG 71:50 we have no idea who Ann the wife of Edward1 French is so he should be disconnected too. Roland Rhoades, who I know, once proposed he was an unrecorded daughter of John (A) Goodale and Elizabeth Parlett but even he states that can not be proven. But that has nothing to do with this Robert Goodale.

7/27/2018 at 10:37 AM

We need to update the locked name, bird and death dates on:

Thomas Goodale, “the younger”
Thomas Goodale, “the younger”

He should be called "the elder"
b 1639 Downham, Norfolk, England
d 24 Aug 1579 Great Yarmouth, Norfolk (burial date)

Thomas (B) Goodale, the elder born say 1539 in Fincham son of John and Ann Goodale married Em ___. Named in the will of his father. His sons John and Robert were legatees of his brother Richard's 1587 will. He was living in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk by 1564 when he and his wife Em has a child bp there. They apparently had two children before this, places of birth unknown. One of these daughter Dianes, Thomas named in his will. Second is Jane; her burial record probably refers to a daughter of his. In 1579 a plague from May to Sep killed around 2,000 people including Thomas and three of his children. Thomas was buried on 24 Aug 1579 with 23 other people. Knowing if his impending demise he wrote a detailed will 20 Aug 1579 which is transcribed in TAG 85:134-140. It was proved 6 Dec 1579. His widow Em remarried 21 Sep 1579 to William Goose and they had a daughter Mary Goose. She is possibly the Em Goose buried on 17 Feb 1615/6. William Goose had previously married Alice Harding on 19 Jan 1572/3. Alice was buried on 1 Jul 1579.
Children
Children of Thomas (B) and Em (___) Goodale all bp in Great Yarmouth except the first two:
1. Jane b say 1560 buried 6 Jun 1570
2. Dianes b say 1562
3. Alice bp 30 Dec 1564 buried 22 Jun 1565
4. John bp 7 Jul 1566 m/2 Bridget Portler m/2 Elizabeth (Parlett) Tayler (see TAG Jan 2018)
5. Katheryn bp 12 Mar 1568/9 buried 5 Aug 1579
6. Margaret bp 23 Oct 1571 buried 10 Feb 1571/2
7. Robert bp 25 Nov 1573 and had a son Robert
8. Jeffrey bp 23 Feb 1575/6 buried 30 Jul 1579
9. Alice bp 6 Jun 1578 buried 12 Aug 1579
Source
1. Myrtle Stevens Hyde, FASG, Additions to the Ancestry of Richard1 Goodale of Salisbury, Massachusetts , in The American Genealogist (TAG). (Donald Lines Jacobus, et.al.. Apr 2011), 85:134-140,

7/27/2018 at 11:09 AM

The above changes once final should clean up the Goodale tree. I'm going out of town - good luck!

Showing all 25 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion