Benjamin Albertson - If Benjamin Albertson was a Quaker, what happened to the records?

Started by Karl David Wright on Monday, June 17, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
6/17/2019 at 4:49 AM

Benjamin Albertson was the son of William Alberson, who was a likely Irish Quaker, according to his profile. And yet we don't have the kinds of records we have come to expect from Quakers. Specifically, his children as listed only include one with a firm birthdate: Josiah. The result are undated. Also left hanging is place of birth, which is listed variously as Abington, Montgomery County, PA, or Gloucester County, NJ.

The reason this is of importance is that I've got DNA evidence that an ancestor of mine, known as Mary Sparks, is in fact either an Albertson or a Chew. Her exact birthdate is an estimate as well, and web trees have her birthplace as Deptford, Gloucester County, NJ. Other DNA evidence implies that she's more likely to be an Albertson than a Chew, but before a firm decision can be made, a better idea of the Benjamin Albertson family will be necessary.

6/17/2019 at 4:52 AM

Private User, this is seemingly your area of interest.
Erica Howton anything you can add is more than welcome.

Private User
6/17/2019 at 5:11 AM

Thanks for including me. I would like to follow up on this when I have more time.

6/17/2019 at 2:51 PM

Your wish is my command!!
I don't have much time either at the moment, so I am hoping that somebody with the knack of finding Quaker records can unearth the mysteries here. Thanks in advance!!

6/18/2019 at 12:21 AM

I think I may have found a better "solution" to the puzzle. The Albertson that may have become Mary Sparks could well be a cousin rather than a sister of Josiah Alberston b. 1741, in which case we have this intriguing possibility:

Mary Hackney

Note that her birthdate is 10 years earlier than the estimated birthdate of Manlee Smallwood, but there is nothing that would have prevented Manlee from being a second marriage rather than a first. As far as religious affiliation, we do not know what religion Manlee practiced, but we do know his son Manlee attended a Methodist church in Philadelphia.

6/18/2019 at 12:34 AM

Web trees, though, think that Mary Albertson b. 1730 married Thomas Hackney in Haddonfield, Camden County NJ on Sep 19 1748, had a ton of children, and died on Jan 26 1775 in Haddonfield, Camden County NJ. This is pretty compelling and seemingly well-researched; I'm including this as the prime hypothesis for Mary b. 1730.

6/18/2019 at 12:57 AM

Backing off a little further -- Mary Ware and her husband are the true genetic matches to Mary Sparks/Smallwood. So she could in fact have also come from the Ware family, which is even less well known than the Albertsons. One reason I tilted towards the Albertsons is because of their known intermarriage with the Ballingers and the Bortons, also ancestors of mine, but that is not good enough for any kind of definitive solution.

Basically we are looking for a Mary without a husband, born around 1739, who is a Ware or an Albertson or a Chew, or close blood cousins thereof.

6/18/2019 at 3:18 AM

Private User Unfortunately the Albertsons have become a bit mixed up in areas you were working on. Can you have a look please at Daniel Albertson ? I’ve detailed William Albertson & Charity Albertson a bit and don’t see them with a Daniel but they could have based on dates / locations.

6/25/2019 at 4:40 AM

Perhaps if Mr. van Beuren points me at the appropriate documents, I can extract what is there to extract? I hope to have some time this weekend and next week, so having the references handy would make it possible to put some time into this.

If there's any indication that Benjamin Albertson went through Quaker separation procedures that too would be enormously helpful, because Mary Sparks' children were definitely not Quaker (Methodist in fact). If Benjamin remained a Quaker his whole life, that argues strongly for looking at the other possibilities for where Mary came from.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion