Cailen Maol Marth 4th Campbell of Lochow - Ages of Family members

Started by Private User on Monday, June 24, 2019
Showing all 14 posts
Private User
6/24/2019 at 10:55 PM

You have Cain born in 1096 dying age 14 in 1110 yet you have him as father of Archibald born in 1090, 6 years before he was born !! You also have him as father of Gillespic born in 1130, 20 years after he died!!!!

6/25/2019 at 10:24 AM

I'm not in charge of the profile. My best guess is that someone made an error with the birth and death dates.

6/25/2019 at 10:36 AM

The problem is usually bad merges, but all the ones that are recent enough to undo are ok.

I will see what I can do.

6/25/2019 at 10:59 AM

Ok. Several generational smerges and some added birthdates that didn’t make sense.

See if thinks are ok now.

And thank you! It impossible to keep up with medieval Tree without help!

6/25/2019 at 3:34 PM

Sites that don't cite real sources (NOT family web trees, for instance) are very problematic in the early tree. Anybody can say anything, and mistakes and even lies get spread far and wide on the 'net.

6/25/2019 at 4:07 PM

At least Archibald Campbell of Lochawe has a source. Archibald Campbell of Lochawe has nothing.

They are one in the same. Look at their wives....

Finetta Fraser of Tweedale

Finetta Fraser of Tweedale

These are also one in the same.

How can you disconnect the one that has a source, and leave the one that has none.

6/25/2019 at 4:31 PM

Because one made sense and one did not. We know when Archibald the father died, since we have an historic event. As it stands, Gillespic was born long after his supposed father died.

When I get a chance I’m getting back to this family. But I see no source in Gillespie, either. Just an unsourced web tree. Am I missing citations? I saw none but perhaps they are there.

6/25/2019 at 6:39 PM
6/25/2019 at 7:47 PM

As I said, I’m going to be getting back to this family.

I hadn’t gotten to this piece you are now linking to at all, at all, this go around.

I had one profile with impossible dates, and impossibly dated children, and I cleaned that up, knowing I could get back to it. In between dealing with vast amounts of duplicates, cleaning up the Boterels, as I have been doing for a few days, explaining many things to many people in many messages and discussion threads, checking to see if there are any more garbled Welsh profiles getting added, and I dunno, having the rest of my life, since this is a part time volunteer gig.

The medieval tree is vast, there are few curators working in it, and indeed things will not be getting done as quickly as you might like.

If you have real sources to offer, that will be lovely. But no unsourced web trees, please.

And if you have real help to offer, that will also be lovely.

6/26/2019 at 6:09 AM

By the way, how do you find out which clan you belong in?

6/26/2019 at 10:47 AM

Ok! Update!

The early pieces of the Campbell tree, which is where the profile where this discussion started off, are highly problematic.

The only primary source I've seen cited is a 14th century manuscript, which is very late, AND is the sort of thing which ties the family into mythological ancestors.

Everything else, in these early profiles, is coming in from family web trees. Which are as usual not only not reliable, but full of contradictions and occasional nonsense.

But!

I do believe that this top part of the tree -- I didn't go up past about Diarmait Ó Duibhne, {Fictional, Fenian Cycle} -- is pretty much cleaned up.

The evidence, which is available online from a digital version of a 1920 History of the Campbells, written by Henry Lee, is problematic but the best I can find at this time.

As is usual, the birthdates are all guesses, really, since that's almost never recorded in the early manuscripts. It has to be guessed from historical events and usual human interactions.

The hard date of 1110 for the death of Cailen Maol Maith 4th Campbell of Lochow is also, to my mind, problematic.

I didn't have reason to question it before, but when I went looking for the evidence, I found that 1) Dunstaffnage Castle dates from the 13th century, but maybe there was something there before that; it's unclear; and 2) the evidence for Colin Maol Maith Campbell's death at the "siege of Dunstaffnage" -- a statement found all over the web -- comes from a text written in the middle of the 19th Century by Lord Archibald Campbell -- already problematic -- and it gives an excerpt from a manuscript "Extracts from Dunstaffnacje Manuscript pedigree. Written by my Granduncle NIEL, fifteenth Captain of Dunstaffnage." -- and that extract gives no date; and I can't find a reference anywhere else.

So maybe that happened, and maybe it didn't, and maybe if it did happen it happened in 1110 and maybe not.

I think at the moment we can let this stand, and if we come up with Real Information That Can Be Tracked Back To Its Source we can either fix things or add the information.

Please let me know if there is more to do.

Thanks!

6/26/2019 at 12:16 PM

I hope this keeps the paths...getting ready to merge....

2nd cousin 22x removed's wife
https://www.geni.com/path/Diana+is+related+to+Jennet-Campbell?from=...

1st cousin 22x removed
https://www.geni.com/path/Diana+is+related+to+Jennet-Campbell?from=...

6/26/2019 at 12:26 PM

Thanks Anne for the merges!

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion