King David of Israel - Ancestor Connections-Shortest Blood Relationship??

Started by Constance Derosier Carter on Tuesday, December 1, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 48 posts
12/1/2020 at 7:59 PM

As all of you, I'm a direcct descendent of King David. When I went to check the lineage, it took the "scenic route" to get there. Yes, there may be more than one way to get to my ancestor but it didn't even go through my 10th g grandmother who bears his name, Michelle David. I've had this happen to in other connection searches. Searching for Sicilian Jewish connections, for example, actually takes me through my paternal French Jewish connections before getting to the Sicilian roots. I don't understand why it goes around in some big circle instead of a direct route.

Can anyone explain why this happens?

Connie Derosier Carter

12/1/2020 at 8:03 PM

I think sometimes it has to do with the last lines you have worked through. When you go so far back on a number of different lines, it is likely to have more than one path to a person. I think the "last path" is remembered. Just what I have noticed. :-)

12/1/2020 at 8:26 PM

Geni tells me this ....

King David of Israel is your 107th great grandfather.

however it also tells me this
133 inconsistencies found in this path

so maybe he is maybe he isnt

12/1/2020 at 10:11 PM

You should not be a direct descendant of David. cf https://www.geni.com/projects/Testing-for-Fake-Medieval-and-Ancient...

12/2/2020 at 1:42 AM

Prophet Muhammad of Islam (PBUH) is your third cousin 45 times removed. LOL

Alaric the Goth, King of the Visigoths is your 46th great aunt's grandfather.

Childéric I, King of the Franks is your 44th great grandfather.

Maybe these profiles should be locked up so they cant tell you this

12/2/2020 at 2:10 AM

It doesn't help to lock them - the fictitious additions are made down the line on their descendants' relationships

12/2/2020 at 6:48 AM

Thank you all for your input and expertise! This one particular family line has been researched by many. And, I know, that doesn't make it correct! However, Because of the dynasty of David and his descendents, it is somewhat easier than other ancient ancestors. Between biblical history, Ancient history, my work and the work of many researchers, at various levels of expertise, I have saved information to put the line together in my family tree. However, I have not entered all the information on Geni, which may explain many inconsistencies. Also, I need to merge some people, add dates, etc, just clean up the tree some. But this particular line, I have managed to collect the information and just not yet documented it all in my tree.

With that said, There is always room for error. I could copy bad info even from sources, i.e. finding two people with same name born in the same year and mixing the two...

So, in a word, by going into the Portal, and finding King David, Geni found its own route to the relationship. The solution sounds like i should clean up the tree, document at least, this particluar line, and then try it again. Maybe trying from the first David surname documented in the family? Am I correct in this thinking?

12/2/2020 at 8:49 AM

Geni.com shows I am a descendant of King David's brother which is quite amazing. But I am and probably a direct descendant of Abraham along with a few hundred million others. This is of no surprise because of the antiquity of Abraham.
The most pleasing part as a descendant of Ishmael and his mother Princess Hagar I have a pharaoh father called Magrib. Hagar's ancestry thanks to archaeology goes back to 2000 BC
Abraham was around at the conquest of Egypt by the hyksos (Canaanites). It makes one wonder if he was involved in the fighting.

Private
12/2/2020 at 9:49 AM

I got the same problem. I think this is why most big tree sites lately advertise DNA testing kits. It would be interesting to see the true DNA lineages of the whole world and I bet we are all blood relatives and brothers and sisters and children of kings and queens at the end of the day.

12/2/2020 at 10:20 AM

Constance, you should not be a direct descendant of David.There are no proven descents from King David. cf https://www.geni.com/projects/Testing-for-Fake-Medieval-and-Ancient...

12/2/2020 at 10:24 AM

Raymond, there are no proven descents from the ancient world. This cannot be emphasized enough. See https://www.geni.com/projects/Testing-for-Fake-Medieval-and-Ancient... and https://www.geni.com/projects/Descents-from-Antiquity/12283

12/2/2020 at 12:47 PM

Sharon Lee Doubell, I appreciate the information. You seem to really care about the accuracy of the information posted, as do I. That's why I am researching from more than one source. I am researching from reliable sources, or as reliable as one can get, true? With that said, we can say the same for that particular article that you are referencing on Geni. Just because someone wrote it doesn't mean that all that information is accurate, does it? I would say much of it, maybe even most of it may be true. However any information here or anywhere else, is discretionary and should be fact checked just as we do when creating our family trees.

Personally, and I can't speak for all, but I stand by my faith in the bible to be inerrant, my continued verification of ancient history, and ongoing reserach into the dark and middle ages to confirm my connections.

Again, this is just my personal opinion and truly appreciate any and all discussion pertaining to Jewish ancestry. Thanks again for your input!

Additionally, when verifying sources, it's good and imperative

12/3/2020 at 1:48 PM

If you are not related to King David you are likely related to him via a route that has been lost from the recorded history. If everyone in the world is statistically related to someone living 3000 BC then the likelihood of a relationship is quite high. You can be related to an historical person hundreds of times in theory.
Many of these big tree sites work with aristocrats who leave traces. Most of European royalty can be trace back to the companions of the Holy Prophet Muhammad, either through Spanish / Andalus royalty or the Easter Roman Empire.In the past political alliances were were vital.
I am researching my grandfather through Family Tree DNA because they have Y-DNA information and a body of scientists. They are not hobbyists. The best we can expect currently is for DNA to predict mutations within 600 years Things are getting better.

12/3/2020 at 4:11 PM

My mothers DNA tests at 93% Ashkenazi and 6% Or so Middle Eastern Jewish, I find it highly ironic that claims of decent from King David are made by those of Christian descent.

It’s what Sharon is saying: there are no proven descents from the ancient world. Exception: Chinese genealogy.

12/4/2020 at 8:03 AM

I think people forget how the religions came about...where, when, why...and then spread... where, when, why, how...

12/4/2020 at 8:33 AM

I am back to granddaughter and I love that
King David of Israel is your 104th great grandfather.

12/4/2020 at 1:47 PM

You shouldn’t love it. It indicates an error in the Geni tree.

Please understand: there is no proven descent to antiquity and the Bible.

12/4/2020 at 9:17 PM

For the sake of amicability, let's move forward from here. It's not that I don't enjoy a good discussion but because this topic has become subjective. Geni offers information on a feature that connects people in the shared tree to seeif there is a connection in their lineage. Right or wrong, correct or fictitous, its available for anyone who wants to use it and follow thru looking for resources to verify the relationships.

Additionally, they also have a link explaining that these relationships can't be proven and explain why. I'm not sure why they include both the connections/relationship feature and the link to the article on the impossibility to prove ancient lineage to modern day descendents.

I truly appreciate Cynthia Hicks Curtis post about how religions came about and spread, in the much the same way the culture and migration patterns spread. Some by choice, some out of necessity. Such was life for my Jewish ancestors from the middle Ages right up through the 1800's, at the very least!

So let's put the topic to rest. The original question was this: why does the connections feature not take the shortest route? One answer to this might be the link is grabbing incorrect or fictitious "relatives" along the way. Or maybe there is more than one path to the ancestor. Or Maybe it's focusing on the last person researched. That is what Ive gleaned in a nutshell.

I would encourage you all to keep looking. There is always new information coming out somewhere. If not now, someday soon. Peace be with you all!

Private User
12/5/2020 at 2:41 AM

Constance Derosier Carter , my theory is that for all who enjoy direct descent from Joseph, Vizier of Egypt, Prophet , the relationship calculator's logarithm is somehow rather wildly perturbed by the presence on his wife's profile of two sets of parents: the biological (she is Dinah's daughter) and the adoptive.

My personal experience revealed that the calculator tends to grant adoptive parents top priority. This caused serious problems for me while the completely unrelated adoptive parents of my childless grand-uncle remained connected to his profile.

It was confounding and senseless to automatically reference my g-uncle's adoptive parents, when I had plenty of direct ancestors available. The moment they were disconnected, problem solved. But until that was fixed, it was impossible for me to see any meaningful bloodline connections because the calculator insisted on taking me through his adoptive parents every time.

So if the calculator could be significantly affected by my g-uncle's double parentage, then it might as well be similarly affected by King David's 8th g-aunt's double parentage. (And perhaps further complicated by the fact that she was her husband's biological niece.)

My connection to David and other Biblical characters comes and goes, like a weak radio signal. :D

12/5/2020 at 7:10 AM

Wow! Debra thank you for shedding some light on this question. In many of these lineages, ancient and otherwise, there are the common incestuous marriages of the day, and/or spouses marrying siblings when one dies, and of course the multiple marriages that we still see today. Your explanation makes so much sense!

Thank you for your input and your humor...Ilove it!

12/5/2020 at 5:43 PM

I get there thru the Rothschilds, we are Jewish, Hebrew from Jerusalem, 200 relatives both sides blood and in-law almost 200 relatives, also it says, well found my Family they are the 1st Imperial Knights of Villingen, Württemberg, Germany, that goes right to the city of Jerusalem, we lived in the United Church of Canada my Great Grandfather here in Vancouver, BC, Methodist, of the Union Theology College of BC, and we set up all the banks in Canada and UK, Meyer we know that the Geni tree is not all complete but it gets the ideas and basically who is on the path is mostly right, someone put it there is the first place, and they say it is fact, once you find it it is true, that is what I found searching the web for info on this stuff, lol

12/5/2020 at 9:42 PM

You should not be a direct descendant of David.There are no proven descents from King David. cf https://www.geni.com/projects/Testing-for-Fake-Medieval-and-Ancient...
There are no proven descents from the ancient world. This cannot be emphasized enough. See https://www.geni.com/projects/Descents-from-Antiquity/12283

J P Weyers
12/5/2020 at 10:09 PM

Thank you Sharon.
All these legandary connections a bit confusing on GENI that tries to rely on some proof.
Why do they exist on GENI ?

12/5/2020 at 10:15 PM

Good question. They just get put back as fast as they are removed.

At the same time - for many of them - it isn't that they didn't exist at all - it's that there is no proof of their descendants to modern day.

12/5/2020 at 10:36 PM

They do call it “the Dark Ages.” :)

Our Bible experts say the internal to the document pedigrees are fine, and I know archeology is constantly vetting and refining. It’s that we do not have the documents, history, DNA or any other evidence to get from there to here with any real accuracy.

There were many pedigrees made from Renaissance royalty to Biblical kings. Think of them as the equivalent of declaring oneself descended from Zeus. Sure, why not, if it helps the king rule his world. But it’s not proof.

J P Weyers
12/6/2020 at 3:32 AM

-- but fairy tales ,mystery, legends and love all make the world more tolerable and exciting.

12/6/2020 at 5:07 PM

And on that note J P Weyers, I will pass on a wonderful little myth that came across my desk. "The Myth of Loki and the Deadly Mistletoe". Love Ted Ed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Poklx9Ifz4

J P Weyers
12/6/2020 at 9:27 PM

Susanne - love it !
My mythical connections with my y-DNA R-U106
510 ADE man from Tyrol , 11th century Viking from Iceland ,Roman Gladiator from York , man from Dutch Island 1800 bce , graves near Kyiv 2300 bce.
Nw to find the genealogical links.

J P Weyers
12/6/2020 at 10:06 PM

? Forgot to add : Not descendant of King David but am a descendant of Queen of Sheba .
Maybe because I am a Christian and from Africa with about 2500 atDNA Jewish cousins ?

Showing 1-30 of 48 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion