Pieter Mauritz Retief - Alternative Data After Merges

Started by Sharon Doubell on Friday, December 25, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 6 posts

Death Location kwaMatiwane near uMgungundlovu, Natal, Suid Afrika 1 Commodore Close, Richards Bay, (South) Uthungulu DC, KZN, South Africa

Sharon Doubell Commodore Close would be a road. That can't possibly be correct.

The name Uthungulu, uMgungundlo can't even be found as the new name of SA Plekname in SA (post-1994) either.
The very first name for Richardsbaai was Cwebeni meaning strandmeer. But even now it still is Richardsbay. But the others are not found.
So I will suggest we always put the old, known name in a place with the new name in the additional information.

I do have a book with his life story and will have a look.

Who changed the names like that?

J

I found these. I think we can change to these.☺

KwaMatiwane - Wikidatawww.wikidata.org › wiki
Oct 14, 2020 — KwaMatiwane. Execution hill near uMgungundlovu. Piet Retief Grave. In more languages. Spanish. No label defined. No description defined.

Umgungundlovu - SA Placeswww.places.co.za › ... › KwaZulu-Natal › Melmoth
... near the main entrance, was Dingane's execution ground, but historians believe it was located on a ridge northeast of the settlement known as Kwamatiwane

That's great. Very much agree about using the old historically accurate names. Please make sure you're happy with how they are now - and lock them maybe?

Alternative data was from a merge in, but it was so strangely specific that I thought it was worth logging.

Done and locked Sharon.

J

:-)

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion