Add Profile to a Special Project That is not Linked to My Tree

Started by Capt Henry Edward Heater on today
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 7 posts
Today at 12:46 PM

I have created a special project. I want to add profiles to it that are not linked to my tree. It appears, however, that the only way I can add a profile is by linking it to my tree and the adding it to the profile. Is there a solution? Thanks.

Today at 1:04 PM

Don’t link any profile to you artificially to add to project.

See https://help.geni.com/hc/en-us/articles/229705887-How-can-I-add-pro...

You may add any public profile that you manage or collaborate on to a project. If you are not a manager or collaborator, a request is sent to the profile manager(s) to add the profile to the project. Simply select "Invite to Project" via the Actions button to send a request.

If you don’t get a response after a reasonable time frame, ask a curator to add for you. Note: only public / deceased profiles can be added to geni projects.

Ari K PRO
Today at 1:08 PM

I´m middle of same kind of situation. Wondering if I start a new tree.. or is there already project for this?

Today at 1:23 PM

Here is the situation. I created a special project - Castro’s Colony - which consists of Alsatian, German and Swiss immigrants to Medina County Texas ca 1844. I noticed that there was intermarriage with many Germans in New Braunfels Texas. Prince Solm founded New Braunfels ca 1846, so I created a Prince Solm’s Colony as a special project. I am confident that a number of my Castro profiles are linked to that colony. My problem is that I have eome 850 Castro profiles and there appears no way to search them to find the linkages.

Today at 1:44 PM

One can always start an unrelated tree from Research > Create a branch and then add it a Geni project.

https://www.geni.com/family-tree/create_branch

But expect you’ll hopefully quickly encounter profile duplicates already on geni - which Is exactly the situation you want. So you need to do it slowly / carefully.

I can relate to what you’re saying, and this is how I handle it, because I’m acutely aware of same name / not the same person issues.:)

Let’s say there’s a Yoder cousin I’m interested in finding out how I’m related. If I search just on the surname, , geni gives me 27,205 results. Well, that’s impossible. :):). But it does suggest that I should be able to “hook in”.

So I’ll create a branch, small family group, add to project, and then use SmartMatch and FamilySearch to look for grandparents. This always seems to work out (eventually). I index separate “”line starter families” to avoid more duplication and show the tree tops.

I think other people may have different strategies, and I’m interested in hearing them.

Today at 2:07 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.I am unsure, however, whether I want a new family branch on my plate. Speaking of strategies, I have used a method to add a profile to a project when I do not manage that profile. Simply create an identical sibling, add that sibling to the profile, and then merge that sibling back in. Voila, you do not have to wait for unresponsive managers or bug curators.

Today at 2:15 PM

If you can narrow the parameters, perhaps you can construct a list in your managed profiles.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion