Hatsel Freeman, Abigail Hallett, Betty Chipman: A Tangled Colonial Mess, needs attention

Problem with this page?

Profiles Mentioned:

Hi Erica Howton

I mentioned finding something fun, here it is! :-)

During some clean-up, I noticed this profile hanging out with no sources, so I added and realized he would have been 13 (?) when the couple's suggested daughter Betty was born. That struck me as really odd, so I messaged the profile manager Esther to see if she had any sources for these relationships.

(Hatsel) Hatsuld Doane Freeman

She has one, which shows Abigail Hallett marrying "Hatsuld Freeman"

Genealogical Notes of Barnstable Families, Being a Reprint of the Amos Otis Papers, Originally Published in The Barnstable Patriot, Revised and Completed by C. F. Swift, Largely from Notes Made by the Author; Volume II; Barnstable, Mass; F.B & F.P. Goss, Publishers and Printers, [The "Patriot" Press] 1890.

The record of his family is lost. The leaf of the record on which it was written is gone. His children were born, the oldest perhaps in Sandwich, the others in Yarmouth.
13. I. Mehitabel, married Edward Stugis, Nov. 25, 1703.
14. II. Ebenezer.
15. III. Thomas, born 1691.
16. IV. Jonathan, 1694.
17. V. David.
18. VI. Abigail, married Hatsuld Freeman, of Harwich, Jan. 18, 1719. She lived to great age, about 100 years, and is buried in the old burying-ground in Brewster.
19. VII. Elizabeth married Paul Crowell Oct. 21, 1714.
20. VIII. Timothy.

Abigail HALLETT

I can find no sources showing this couple had a daughter named Betty.

What I have found are different Master Profiles here on Geni for similar names in the timeframe, where the only source for "Hatsuld" is FamilySearch. I attached the death records for Hatsel on the previous profile link above. The dates do not line up, so I'm not sure if we have two couples with the same names here, or a mess.

The MPs:

Hatsuld Freeman

Lifespan for Abigail fit's Esther's source:

Abigail Freeman

MP for Bette Freeman Chipman. If Bette was born in 1729, then her father being born in 1713, which the records I found and attached clearly show he was, seem very unlikely?

Bette Chipman

Thanks so much!

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion