husbands of Sibyl/Sybilla de Falaise Queen of Scotland

Started by Terry Jackson (Switzer) on Thursday, September 30, 2010
Showing all 6 posts
9/30/2010 at 3:47 PM

Sybilla was it seems the illgt daughter of Henry I and concubine #4 although she may have been the daughter of Sybil Corbet (concubine #5 although the chronology is not good) My question however if not who her parents were but who she married. Medlands site say she married Alexander King of Scotland however Wikipaedia say she married de Belours.

Did she marry both or are there more than one Sybils?
Opinions sought please before I merge all the sybils into one.

Private User
9/30/2010 at 8:44 PM

The Sibyl's certainly have varied birth dates. i would start by merging down to two - one who married de Belours, and one who married Alexander and see how it looks.

Private User
10/1/2010 at 6:58 AM

I have not studied these people or lines but: the most typical error of all is to assume that people with similar names are ONE person. Janet's suggestion is very good, and I would make a strong guess we're speaking of two different people. The reason for these mix-ups is of course that sources for women are fewer etc.

All the illegit children of Henry are also a documentation challenge, where (I guess) a lot of people have taken the opportunity to "claim" royal ancestry because of the ambiguous or missing sources.

8/7/2012 at 7:19 AM

Wikipedia now agrees with Medlands - marrying her to Alexander: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sybilla_de_Normandy

8/7/2012 at 7:24 AM

It also agrees with Medlands on her being the daughter of Sybil Corbet.

Neither Medlands or Wikipedia Show these two as her children, although they are presently on Geni as such; Mathilde de Coucy Aveline Ales de St-Hilaire

8/7/2012 at 7:36 AM

Medlands records another son of Alexander - Malcolm, by an unknown mistress. Is it possible Aveline & Mathilde are also the daughters of an unknown mistress?

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion