John Johnson

Started by Noah Tutak on Friday, November 5, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 17 posts
11/5/2010 at 10:43 AM

Is this the right John Johnson? If so, I can add him to the project.

Captain John Johnson

11/5/2010 at 11:07 AM

Noah - See http://www.mayflowerfamilies.com/cooke/d21.htm. Follow the line from John Johnson. I'm not sure whether there were actually TWO John Johnsons and the MP is confusing. See what you think from reading the mayflowerfamilies source above.

John Johnson (1592 - 1659) was married to Mary Heath, Margery (?Scudder) and Grace Negus Fawer. His father was John Johnson Sr (1564) who was married to Hannah Throckmorton.

I'm frankly confused but would love it if you became a collaborator and helped me straighten out the oldest 1 - 2 generations.

11/5/2010 at 11:32 AM

I've contacted Kim Odenwiller who is the curator for John Johnson II MP which is clearly erroneous since the same individuals are listed as both his siblings and his children. I believe that someone merged the disputed child, John, with the father, John Johnson, whose undisputed children are: Issac, Mary, Humphrey, Elizabeth, and Sarah. Humphrey is my ancestor.

Humphrey's mother was Mary Heath. She was the mother of all 5 of the undisputed children. The other two wives were Margery (?Scudder) and Grace Fawer nee Negus.

11/5/2010 at 11:32 AM

Private User should follow this project and join the discussion.

12/7/2010 at 5:01 PM

I'm bumping this discussion. The family of Captain John Johnson is such a mess I don't know what to do about it.

Private User is also a direct descendant and is joining the project. I'm hoping that between Private User and Tammy, we can fix this poor family!

12/7/2010 at 5:02 PM

Here's another link to Johnson family research, from a cousin of mine:

http://turk.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=turk&view=0&amp...

12/7/2010 at 5:09 PM

Private User is also helping with the project

12/9/2010 at 9:18 AM

Abigail Johnson (Stansfield)

Okay, I have been cleaning up some of the Johnson family tree starting at the bottom. I'm now reconnected to my Johnson ancestors up to this generation where I think I know what the problem is, and it requires some family research.

This person shows up married to both a father and a son and I believe that is part of the problem. I recall that when I did further research, it was concluded that one of the Abigails was Last Name Unknown and NOT the same person.

Right now I am still not connected correctly to the two John Johnsons who I am a direct descendant of, due to the problems with this generation.

photo owned by Tamara Tucker Swingle
Private User
12/9/2010 at 11:10 AM

I THINK from what I find online that
Abigail Johnson (Stansfield) should be Abigail May (middle name) Stansfield (maiden name).

Private User
12/9/2010 at 11:12 AM

I forgot to add Abigail May (Stansfield) Johnson was the wife of Nathan Johnson.

12/9/2010 at 11:33 AM

Tammy - can you cite your sources. My sources are:

http://turk.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=turk&view=0&amp...

and http://www.mayflowerfamilies.com/cooke/d21.htm

My conclusion is the Sergeant Humphrey Johnson married first Eleanor Cheney and second Abigail Stanfield May, widow of Samuel May. Nathaniel Johnson is the son of Humphrey Johnson and he married Abigail Last Name Unknown. I believe that there is a confusion between Nathaniel Johnson's wife and step mother.

Humphrey JOHNSON Sergeant(1542) (1567) was born about 1620 in Great Amwell, England. (1568) Genealogy of Captain John Johnson of Roxbury, Mass, Generations I to XIV, by Paul Franklin Johnson, Editor 1945 p.6: " . . .Came from England with his father, Captain John. He was a capable man in town affairs and often employed in the public business. He had an uncommon inclination to law suits and few men have left on the records of the court, so many evidences of his litigeous disposition." He settled in Scituate, Mass., and later was of Hingham, Mass where he was an Inkeeper. He was a member of his brother's Company in the Narrangansett Expedition. He was an original donor of the Free School. His farm house in Scituate was in later years owned by Joshua Lincoln into whose family there was much intermarrying. He was baptized on 5 Nov 1620 in Great Amwell, England.(1569) (1570) He died about 24 Jul 1693 in So. Hingham, MA. (1571)(1572) (1573) Humphrey - b. Nov. 5, 1620, Ware End, Great Amwell, Hertfordshire, England; d. Jul. 24, 1692, Hingham, MA. Sgt. in company commanded by brother Isaac.
An original donor of the Free School at Roxbury, he moved about 1651 to Scituate, MA. Married first Mar. 20, 1641/2, Roxbury, MA Ellen/Elinor CHENEY (b. about 1620, England; d. Sep. 28, 1678, Hingham, MA), daughter of William and Margaret CHENEY, ancestors of Pres. William Howard TAFT.

He married second Dec. 6, 1678, Abigail MAY (d. after May 14, 1714), widow of Samuel MAY.

Children of Humphrey and Elinor: Mehitable married first Samuel HINSDALE, second Robert ROOT, and third John COLEMAN (Mehitable and John became ancestors of Pres. Franklin ROOSEVELT); Martha married Obadiah MORSE; Benjamin married Rebecca HERSHEY (sister of Deborah HERSHEY who married Samuel LINCOLN, brother of Mordecai LINCOLN, ancestor of Pres. Abraham LINCOLN); Margaret married Josiah LEAVITT; Deborah died young; Mary; Nathaniel married Abigail; Isaac married Abigail LEAVITT; and Joseph died young.

Children of Humphrey and Abigail: John married Mary RAMSEY; and Deborah married Isaac DAVIS.

12/9/2010 at 11:40 AM
Private User
12/9/2010 at 12:20 PM

This was just off a message board online.
http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.johnson/13000/mb.ashx

I thought it was an interesting possibility.

12/9/2010 at 12:32 PM

Tammy - I went ahead and used the data for Nathaniel Johnson and Abigail LNU in the last link I sent you and changed the tree. I'll look at that link in a second.

I'm good now on the Johnson family but we need to get them made MPs so that future mergers are done carefully. See my post on the Master Profile thread. I believe that there has been a lot of confusion about Nathaniel and his son Nathaniel who married Mary Haven and between Abigail LNU and Nathaniel's step mother Abigail Stansfull May.

12/9/2010 at 12:36 PM

Okay, that was an interesting genealogy and MOSTLY agrees with what I just did for Nathaniel son of Humphrey with the exception of the surname of Abigail. The source for both of them is I believe the book that I ordered from Amazon, but I will print out both the above links and compare them and compare them to the book.

12/9/2010 at 12:47 PM

One more thing. The link that I cited gives Abigail LNU's birthdate as July 1666 with her deathdate as April 8, 1745. I believe that this is all from the book I ordered by the way.

There is confusion clearly. Either Nathaniel married his step mother and had a bunch of children with her or he married a woman named Abigail and there has been confusion of the two Abigails. Abigail Stanfull May was born in 1659 and Nathaniel was born in 1665-6. His last child was born 1699 so it's possible that Abigail Stansfull May could have been the mother of all his children.

HOWEVER here's the rub: Nathaniel's first child was born in the early or mid 1680s. His father died in 1693. So he would have had to marry his father's second wife before his father died.

Whereas the message board you found says ABIGAIL MAY STANSFIELD was born May 22, 1659 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusettes, and died April 09, 1745 in Windham, Windham, Connecticut.

Compare this with what the message board says about Humphrey's wife:

HUMPHREY4 JOHNSON SIR (JOHN II3, JOHN I2, FRANCIS1) was born 1620 in Herne Hill, London, England, and died July 24, 1693 in Hingham, Plymouth, Mass. He married (1) ELEANOR 'ELLEN' CHENEY March 20, 1642/43, daughter of WILLIAM CHENEY and MARGARET CULE. She was born 1626 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusettes, and died September 28, 1678 in Hingham, Plymouth, Massachusettes. He married (2) ABIGAIL MAY STANSFIELD December 06, 1678 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts. She was born May 22, 1659 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusettes, and died April 09, 1745 in Windham, Windham, Connecticut.

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion