Started by Hatte Blejer on Wednesday, December 8, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 13 posts
12/8/2010 at 6:05 PM

Erica Howton

The Gallup family has gotten disconnected from its later generations recently.
Captain John Gallup is the founder of this family in America.
My line is as follows and was intact a month ago, but has somehow gotten disconnected:
1. Captain John Gallop (Gallup) married Christobel Bruschett
2. John Gallup, Jr. married Hannah Lake
3. Benadam Gallup married Esther Prentice
4. Lieutenant Benadam Gallup married Eunice Cobb
5. Colonel Nathan Gallup married Sarah Giddings
6. Lodowick Gallup married Margaret Phelps
7. Fanny Maria Gallup married Giles Williams

There is a lot of confusion around the Benadams. Both Johns became Master Profiles and somehow lost their other descendants. I have the Gallup Genealogy and can help with fixing this, but I want to make them all MPs and not have this happen again.

Captain John Gallup
Benadam Gallup
Lt. Col. Nathan Gallup
Unknown Profile
Lt. Benadam Gallup, II
Lodowick Gallup
Fanny Maria Williams

There are several Ben Adam and Benadam Gallup profiles. Some need to be merged. Some may have conflated the Benadams together.

Lt. Benadam Gallup, II
This Benadam Gallup ("Benadam Gallup, Lieut" born 1693 and married to Eunice Cobb) used to be connected to the tree and has lost his parents.

There are several generations of Benadam Gallups, only 2 of which are in my line.

Benadam Gallup son of John Gallup and Hannah Lake was born in Stonington in 1655 and married Esther Prentice. He died August 2, 1727.
Benadam Gallup son of Benadam Gallup and Esther Prentice was born in Groton (Ledyard), CT in 1693 and married Eunice Cobb. He died Sept 30, 1755.

Children of HANNAH LAKE and JOHN GALLUP are:
i. HANNAH GALLUP, b. 14 Sep 1644, Boston, MA; d. 1721, Norwich, CT.
ii. JOHN GALLUP, b. 14 Sep 1646, Boston, MA; d. 14 Apr 1735, Stonington, New London, CT, USA.
iii. ELIZABETH GALLUP, b. 1650, Stonington, New London, CT; d. 1736, Stonington, New London, CT.
iv. ESTHER GALLUP, b. 24 Mar 1651/52, New London, CT; d. 1710, Taunton, Bristol, MA.
v. BENADAM GALLUP, b. 1655, Stonington, New London, CT; d. 02 Aug 1727, Stonington, New London, CT.
vi. WILLIAM GALLUP, b. 1658, Stonington, New London, CT; d. 17 May 1731, Stonington, New London, CT.
vii. SAMUEL G GALLUP, b. 1660, New London, CT; d. 1687.
20. viii. CHRISTOBEL GALLUP, b. 1662, Stonington, New London, CT, USA; d. 17 Sep 1754, Mystic, New London, CT.
ix. MARY GALLUP, b. 1666, Stonington, New London, CT; d. 1672.
x. MARGARET GALLUP, b. 1668, Stonington, New London, CT.
========
Children of Benadam Gallup (above # v) and wife Esther Prentice:
1. Hannah Gallup, who married William Wheeler
2. Esther Gallup who married Joseph Stanton
3. Mercy Gallup, who married William Denison Jr.
4. Lieutenant Benadam Gallup, who married Eunice Cobb
5. Captain Joseph Gallup, who married Eunice Williams
6. Margaret Gallup, who married Nathaniel Gallup
7. Lucy Gallup, who married George Denison

12/9/2010 at 8:39 AM
12/9/2010 at 8:42 AM

Christobel Gallop

Captain John Gallop's wife.

12/9/2010 at 8:45 AM

Alexandra Chèrie Ann Hallam

Another Gallup descendant who may want to participate and fill in her line in the genealogy.

Private User
12/18/2010 at 7:53 AM

Thanks for the info Hatte. How can I help? Is there a particular part of the Gallup tree that needs some work, correction?

Private User
12/18/2010 at 9:29 AM

I've been doing some cleanup this morning.. so hopefully it looks a bit better. Let me know if there is a particular area that needs investigation and correction.

12/18/2010 at 11:58 AM

Private User - Thanks. I saw someone was in here.

The immediate thing I see needs to be done is to link my tree into the Gallup tree. I tried to do this, but Geni is being super slow transferring data.

The next thing that needs to be done is to merge the Benadam Gallup (b. 1655) married Esther Prentice (~Hester). The third one in this series is just a dummy I created to try to link my tree into the larger Gallup tree, but I couldn't get my "move" box to ever show up, perhaps due to the size or complexity of the Gallup tree or due to Geni being slow.

Unknown Profile

Benadam Gallup

Unknown Profile

Private User
12/18/2010 at 12:26 PM

Ok.. you should be connected in now. :-)

12/18/2010 at 2:39 PM

Not quite. I'm now connected to Esther Gallup but still not to her husband Benadam Gallup, probably because all the merges have not taken place yet. I'm going to wait and see what happens when the merges take place. Or it could be that the database hasn't recomputed the relationship. But thanks so much for helping with this. I'm going to slowly keep cleaning up and adding offspring. I have the two-volume Gallup genealogy so it's easy to verify for me.

12/19/2010 at 1:07 PM

Very inconsistent behavior. Hannah Lake shows up as my 7th great grandmother, even though from the first Benadam (b. 1655, married Esther Prentice) back I am not connected right. Although I AM connected to Esther Prentice correctly.

Private User
12/19/2010 at 2:12 PM

If there is anything that I can do, let me know. I think I've merged everything that I can but maybe something is not corrected right. Could you take a look at Thomas Gallop. http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000003468230834

We have a conflict on the mother (Joan or Elizabeth). Also, double check the dates of the father (John Gallop). It states he died c1533, yet most of his children we have listed are born after 1533.

12/19/2010 at 8:27 PM

Here's where the problem starts:
Captain John Gallup

His father, John Gallup, is my 8th great grandfather and all the previous g grandfathers are correct too. Suddenly he is a distant cousin of mine. He only has one set of parents, so I don't know why he is not my 7th great grandfather.

I checked on Thomas Gallop and his death date is known and is correct. In his "About Me" I noted his SIX children. I suspect without having verified that he has some incorrect children. From what I know from Gallup Genealogy, 2009, all we have for his children are death dates, not birth dates. There is a facsimile of a 1623 census with the lineage and the spouses and death dates where available. Perhaps others have done more research but I rather doubt it.

12/19/2010 at 8:31 PM

To continue: Thomas Gallop's father John did die in 1533/1534. His wife's name was Joan Collins, not Elizabeth.

The only child the Gallup Genealogy gives for John (d. 1533/34) is Thomas who died April 7, 1610. No birthdate is given

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion