King Philip's War

Started by Hatte Blejer on hiatus on Saturday, April 2, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 6 posts
4/2/2011 at 12:57 AM

For background about this war see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Philip%27s_War. It came to my attention because the son of my ancestor Captain John Johnson was a Captain (Isaac Johnson) who fought in this war and was killed at Fort Narranganset. Reading the genealogy of the Twitchell family who intermarried with the Johnson family, I found that my ancestor Joseph Twitchell (son of the first Twitchell immigrant Benjamin) who married Mary Riggs (daughter of the first Riggs immigrant Edward) also fought in this war. I would like to start a project linking the war to the members of various Colonial American families / towns, and am looking for collaborators.

4/2/2011 at 1:02 AM

Hatte

Just add me to the Project when you get it going as a Collaborator, and start a discussion within that project calling for research resources to load up in the project overview and documentation module.

I think I have a bunch of ancestors who fought in that war and I face a learning curve to understand it.

One thing I've found useful is a "timeline" document so I can see how the war came about, where it was fought (battles etc)., the political "players" and so on.

Private User
4/2/2011 at 7:19 AM

There are of course a number of Thomas Rogers descendants involved with that war. Seems like almost any family, if they were in Plymouth Colony around 1675, had someone who fought in it or were killed in some sort of ambush.

4/2/2011 at 10:03 AM

Ben - yes, that's what I love about having a project about this war, it helps me see how all those families were intertwined through marriage, through serving together in the war, through banding together to establish new towns and of course through their civic and church involvement. Before Geni, the names were not connected. I knew that the Twitchells married the Johnsons. I knew that Isaac Johnson, brother of my ancestor Humphrey, was a hero. I found out when I met Tammy that my Twitchell great X grandmother was actually a Riggs. And of course Humphrey Johnson was married to a Cheney and a Cheney died with Isaac Johnson. It really makes things come alive to envision the people in families and engaged in various networks. I realize how small their numbers were and how much certain families interacted with each other.

4/4/2011 at 2:14 AM

I am recruiting additional members to look at this project and to add profiles to it. The topic is amazing. It teaches you so much about early American history. The Wikipedia articles that I have linked to are short and very readable.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion