Spare a thought

Started by patricia taratu on Monday, May 23, 2011
Showing all 5 posts
patricia taratu
5/23/2011 at 10:49 AM

maori were not taught to write or read any form of alphabet. It is only when pakeha arrived .Maori were well versed in whakapapa passed down and taught only by waiata , whaikorero , raranga ,moko, and carvings ..... there are still whakapapa to be written,unlike pakeha you need proof of identity, however maori do not , the proof is in their names , marriages, land in history, Waiata, whakairo ,whaikorero, .....BC

Yes that is true, but that is why we had kings like Hoturoa and Potatau Te Wherowhero and Tawhiao and so forth, to stand up for our rights and believed that yes we dont need Pakeha influence, that we as maori had our own beliefs. And with those beliefs, it will take our people eveywhere around the world. Pakeha biggest threat was our maori people, And this is why us as maori people should go home to learn our Tikanga Maori now, before Pakeha comes in again and stamp another law down for us as one people. Dont be afraid of Pakeha, at the end of the day, the pakeha should be afraid of us as Indigenous people.

Private User
5/26/2011 at 8:36 AM

Just curious as this is not my culture or ethnicity, why do you say that Pakeha should be afraid of Indigenous people? Thanks.

patricia taratu
5/30/2011 at 3:17 AM

it is no that one should be afraid of any culture or ethnecity, it is that each culture should respect other cultures,

10/12/2014 at 3:52 AM

Whakapapa is important as it is our way of connecting with the past, We have been very fortunate that this tradition was kept very much alive in the time of our tupuna. We suffered as a consequence of the dark ages where there were no literate people to keep record of our histories and yes we have had to rely on Pakeha text for some of this history,I live and breath this history its what I find powerful, I hope we all can share the same as we share our stories.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion