Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 47 posts
Private User
6/30/2011 at 12:44 AM

It's that time again. Dig out your download links and grab the newest version. If you started a download last night it may have failed because we had to force a few changes that would interrupt your download. Our apologies. Please post any concerns you may have and details as to profiles affected. Thank you.

6/30/2011 at 2:56 PM

I just wanted you to know that all of my connection errors and problems downloading media seemed to be fixed with this later version. I just finished my first successful download and I have to say that it's pretty freaking cool! It is going to save me a ton of time in transferring information from Geni to my genealogy software! :) Thank you!

6/30/2011 at 3:37 PM

My download did not complete, it got stuck when updating the software with the download. Now the dash do not see the download and still have the old vs. .21. How do i manualy start the update?

6/30/2011 at 7:48 PM

Ok i re-installed it from the link I received in the notice e-mail. I installed ok.
Still no photos.
The links of the multiple marriages of my sons was cocked-up.
PS
my setup:
MSI vx600 notebook
Windows 7 ultimate
Legacy 7.5 de Lux

Private User
7/1/2011 at 6:06 AM

Okay I just noticed that I posted in wrong discussion so I am re-posting here:
I wanted to let you know that I just downloaded and installed AncestorSync for Rootsmagic and when I went to open it SONAR removed it due to suspicious activity at a high risk level. I think it is only because there was only one user from the Norton community, and the software is new. So I am going to go ahead and restore it and see what happens - unless someone thinks I shouldn't.

Private User
7/1/2011 at 6:53 PM

I downloaded version 2011.6.29. The first time I submitted a download it hung after 10 hours. So I cancelled it and tried again. This time the download was successful. I selected two programs, and It successfully created a file for both Legacy and Rootsmagic simultaneoulsy. I also select 9 generations of ancestors and 3 forward looking for descendants. It took about 3.5 hours to download 729 individuals.

Problems:

1. I still get the firewall errors. It does not stop the downloading process.
2. I noticed that the download had less individuals than what I had using the previous AS version. I suspect it is from some of the fixed applied
3. The birth location for Sarah Jane Baker is still wrong. It was suggested that there were data conflicts for Sarah in the Geni tree. I did not find a data conflicts (no yellow triangle)
4. I have more unlinked individuals than I had before. Now I have 132 trees. Most of them have only one individual. They were unlinked from spouses that were linked on Geni.
5. The "sources" are still downloaded into "image media" rather than in "sources with citations" for both Legacy and Rootsmagic.

Private User
7/1/2011 at 9:40 PM

Monica:
I'm so glad to hear that! Let me know if you find any of the data missing.

William: Please see your private message. We'll try to get your concerns resolved this week.

Leslie: We are working to have a download installer/updater to resolve this very issue. You will, however, get that concern for a while because we are new. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sydney:
1. That will be resolved in the next release. It is actually resolved, we just have to release a new build.
2. The ancestor number is in-accurate right now. We were dropping a few ancestors. We've made improvements to the code and that should be resolved in the next release as well.
3. Please see your PM on this.
4. We know there's an error with that. Please stay tuned. We'll have that resolved asap. We just found where the problem lies.
5. Could you elaborate on this? Types of sources are not placed there, but rather are media? Is that the concern?

Thank you all.

7/2/2011 at 12:52 AM

Profiles that are marked deceased without death date were exported to GEDCOM as alive

7/2/2011 at 6:30 AM

Private User I am now on a different computer 1500 miles away from my home and will be here for several months. Will you please send me a download link so I can continue working on the beta.

Private User
7/2/2011 at 9:06 AM

Yaacov: Great find. We're on it.

Eldon: Check your PM.

Private User
7/2/2011 at 5:58 PM

Dovy, regard to Sources:

When I uploaded a GEDCOM file to Geni in 2008, it defined my sources (census, marriage indexes, book references, etc.) as documents. Geni did put these documents under the source tab. And each source is linked to a particular fact (birth, death, marriage, etc.).

When AncestorSync downloads this information, it defines the documents as images or pictures. As such, Legacy and Rootsmagic stores them in their image or photo repositories. Consequentially, all the individuals who have sources on Geni have no records in the source repositories of these programs. However, images are linked to each individual with a source.

Another thing I found is that these "documents" are only linked to the individual's name in Legacy and Rootsmagic. There are not attached to a fact.

I hope this helps.

7/4/2011 at 6:35 AM

Just now, when I tried a download, it eventually gives a dialog stating:"Finished download and file(s) saved"
But in the background, a black message bar keeps appearing and disappearing stating: "Received: (and stating the record it has received)", and the log keeps filling with persons it has received.
At this time the saved files are already in place.

Private User
7/5/2011 at 8:59 PM

@Sydney - That makes sense. Thank you. We realized an issue with that in regards to the API as well and we're working towards a resolution.

@Dimitri - Ha, it seems that our complete function didn't finish. You should be fine. I'll resolve that issue. Thank you.

7/14/2011 at 10:51 AM

I had a hard time installing this. Norton 360 quarantined it as suspicious, so I had to restore it and also muck with the firewall protection it gives.

I'm not sure if you can "look into" our trees or not, but I'm going to put the person's names with the issues so I can remember as we work on this.

I exported to Legacy.

1. If a person has more than one photo, the main one that shows on their GENI page is not marked as the preferred one in Legacy. (Alfred Maxwell Small)

2. My great-grandmother's second husband did not get downloaded in the file, although the marriage date was there. So, she showed with two marriages but no person on the second one, if that makes sense. (Margaret Arnott (Oviatt)'s husband Andrew Ashton missing)

3. I had an instance where the children did not get downloaded in sorted order. The order was the 5th, then 4th, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 1st. GENI displays them in proper sorted order. All had proper birth dates and the child number order that Geni uses was correct too. (Lydia Margaret Oviatt was listed first in her family)

4. Could there be an option if there's a piece of missing information in the place name to keep the comma so the rest of the place name is in the proper position. Without them, it can be very confusing when place names can be a town or a county. (Thomas D. Oviatt shows born in Washington, NY, USA when Washington is the county instead of , Washington, NY, USA)

5. The burial locations came in fine in my file. I didn't get address records though for the actual cemetery. Is there a way to get the place name to make an event address record? BTW, I like that it did NOT put the place name (ie, cemetery name) in the location field.

I'm pretty excited about this program! Thanks.

Private User
7/15/2011 at 2:29 AM

@Michelle McKenzie If you give us permission, we can look at your tree. We'll never do so without your approval first. I'll answer your questions in order.

1. This is a known issue and something we will resolve. I've added it to our bug tracker.

2. I'll get back to you on this one. I know where the concern lies, but I am not sure what we're planning to do about this.

3. Children order has not yet been exposed by Geni to all the endpoints. We have asked them to make this change. As soon as they do, we'll place them in the proper order. :)

4. Do you have an example of this? A name in your family? Because I am not sure if Geni allows for that, though I may be wrong.

5. Is the address record stored on Geni.com? Can you also give us an example of an ancestor with this data? I don't quite understand.

I'm glad you're excited about this program. We'll get your bugs resolved. I look forward to your response. Thank you.

7/15/2011 at 3:58 AM

@Dovy Yes, you have permission to look at my tree. LMK if I have to send an email or something.

2. I personally added the man that didn't get downloaded, so it seems silly if I'm not allowed to download him.

4 & 5. When you add a location in your tree, you can "edit details" and a subscreen comes up with the break out of of location details with fields:

Place Name:
State/Province:
City:
County:

If I don't have a "city" filled in, the first part of the proper address should be blank. It should be city, county, state, country. The place name is an address within that city, county, state, country location.

If you look at Thomas D. Oviatt (1838-1887), you'll see that in birth address he doesn't have a city. I'd like a blank space in the address, so instead of WASHINGTON, NY, USA

7/15/2011 at 4:04 AM

Oops, got cut off there

I'd like a blank space in the address, so instead of WASHINGTON, NY, USA, I enter , WASHINGTON, NY, USA in Legacy. I know geni shows it without the leading comma as well, but when you look in the details you can see the breakout and it's correct. I guess my point is that if I look at Washington, NY, USA, how am I to know if Washington is a City or County?

Also on the same Thomas D. Oviatt, you can see on his burial that there is a PLACE NAME filled in. That in Legacy should be an address record linked to the burial fact.

I don't know that everyone enters their info the same as me, so maybe 4 & 5 should be options...I just know right now I'd have some confusion with the places names because of 4 and be missing information because ot 5 (the cemetery name).

Thank you!

Private User
7/15/2011 at 8:39 AM

Thought I had better let you know what happened when I downloaded my tree.

I am using RootsMagic. I guess I forgot to click on the "select none" button because I didn't want to download the images so I got them anyway. However they didn't show up as profile pictures.

I selected 9 generations. In some lines I didn't get the nine generations and in others I got more.

Some of the children were missing.

Some profiles didn't have the full "about me" notes included. This profile for example: Abigail Cary only the last paragraph showed up. This profile was 10 generations after me.

Some profiles had extra marriages. It looks as though I got profiles that are no longer part of the tree, ones that have long since been updated, merged, or unhooked from tree.

I also got LDS dates when they are not even on the Geni profiles. Don't know how that happened.

7/15/2011 at 9:21 AM

Leslie, I don't use the program but I can explain the LDS dates. There is a lot of info that is I the geni profiles that don't show.
If info was uploaded in a GEDCOM all notes and other data is recorded in the Geni Profiles but can not be seen.

All mot note and other info seem lost if you look at the profiles, but when I get a GEDCOM download from Geni the info is still there. The program is simply picking up on the info.

I asked Geni to make the notes availible online since some of it needs to be changed, but no luck so far.

7/16/2011 at 1:30 AM

I am interested in DNA genealogy, how will AS handle the new vs of Legacy with its fields for DNA groups (yDNA and mtDNA).

Private User
7/19/2011 at 8:27 AM

Starting up the Mac version on an Intel iMac running Leopard gets crash with these messages:
System Configuration:
Model: iMac9,1, BootROM IM91.008D.B08, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.66 GHz, 2 GB
Graphics: kHW_NVidiaGeForce9400Item, NVIDIA GeForce 9400, sppci_pci_device, 256 MB
Memory Module: global_name
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x8E), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.91.22)
Bluetooth: Version 2.1.9f10, 2 service, 1 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Built-in Ethernet, Ethernet, en0
Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
Serial ATA Device: WDC WD3200AAJS-40H3A0, 298.09 GB
Serial ATA Device: HL-DT-ST DVDRW GA11N
USB Device: Keyboard Hub, (null) mA
USB Device: Apple Optical USB Mouse, (null) mA
USB Device: Apple Keyboard, (null) mA
USB Device: Built-in iSight, (null) mA
USB Device: IR Receiver, (null) mA
USB Device: BRCM2046 Hub, (null) mA
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, (null) mA

Problem Details:
Process: AncestorSyncForGeni [49806]
Path: /Applications/AncestorSync for Geni.app/Contents/MacOS/AncestorSyncForGeni
Identifier: com.yourcompany.AncestorSyncForGeni
Version: ??? (???)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [20317]

Interval Since Last Report: 136 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 1
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 0 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 1

Date/Time: 2011-07-19 10:48:16.460 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Report Version: 6
Anonymous UUID: AAE82F55-FE8D-4B1C-9566-C9B4FB93CB62

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/AncestorSync for Geni.app/Contents/MacOS/AncestorSyncForGeni
Reason: image not found

So where do I get libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib ?

Running the Windows version and scaling down to just 16 individuals, and deselecting videos, it still gets reference to downloading *.flv video files and is taking a long long time , now over 16 hours. There are over 50 page downs of photo names in the log so far (200+?). I know there are a lot of photos in my geni.com. How long should it take before I should abort the process? The AncestorSync for Geni\Cache\GeniDownload folder show 0 objects. Same for activity in the Local Settings and Windows Temp directories, as far as I can tell.

Private User
7/19/2011 at 12:34 PM

The Windows version is now over 20 hours elapsed time since start and is not processing any media files and the log seems to be stuck as at my last report.
Should I just cancel and wait for your next update?

Private User
7/20/2011 at 7:49 AM

This morning, there was no evidence of the previous Windows process, so I tried again. This time I suppressed photos as well as videos, but upped the tree to 9 Ancestors+4 Descendents. This finished
The PAF and Gedcom do not have the Graduation and Residence events that I received in a Geni-generated Gedcom I ran a few months ago.

7/20/2011 at 11:28 AM

Ronald: re: crash on OS/X 10.5.8
FYI: I've run it on 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) without any crashes (other than the length of time and the lack of updating of the number of persons found/download).

7/20/2011 at 1:07 PM

has there been any new versions - last one i tired it had downloaded for over 15 hours and i got nothing - getting discoruaged -

was hoping there would be a way just to download certain branches of the "BigTree" and not everythign from me back or however it does it - this would help in the download time possibly I would find this very useful because of all the maunscripts i have put up - but maybe this is an impossiblity

i have bee using the gedcom version as I do no't want to merge itinto my PAF files - I am just getting the cleaned up and organized and hopefull merged together my one is not working properly anyway as it is - won't ged com the whole file - only does it in sections - but ifall esle fails guess i will have to go that route with it.

Private User
7/20/2011 at 2:01 PM

@Ronald - There's an odd bug that we've noticed and we're working on a solid fix. Sorry for the delay. We re-started the service and it should be running now.

@Dan - The Geni team is making some crucial changes to greatly reduce the time over the next couple of works. In regards to the persons being updated, I believe we resolved that. Which version do you have?

@ Judi - There have not been any new versions. We have a HUGE surprise coming this week that you will love with a few bug fixes.

We also have a way coming (within the next 2 weeks) to download parts of the tree just as you request. You'll be able to choose a different focus person to start a download from, not just you. So this is coming.

Look for some cool new things the end of this week! Thank you all.

P.S. Geni has some great things coming too. You'll love it.

Private User
7/20/2011 at 8:13 PM

On an upgrade to Snow Leopard on the Mac, it now gets to the login to Geni Screen, but now on both Mac and Windows, it just spins on the message: Please wait while we authenticate you.

Private User
7/20/2011 at 11:32 PM

@Ronald We were attempting to fix a crash that we were having when we interacted with Geni. Things are back online now. Our apologies.

7/21/2011 at 4:29 AM

@Dovy - re version: 2011.6.29.0

I just noticed a couple of things:

1) When selecting the type of file to have created, the Mac file selection dialog always comes up at the "Documents" folder; it ought to remember the last location I selected.

2) When I "hide" the application while the search/download is happening (the "moving tree" background), it doesn't change the amount of CPU used -- that may be o.k. if the program is not aware it is being 'hidden'. However, I also noted that the window's option to minimize to the Dock (OS/X) is not available -- why not?

3) I realize y'all are still focusing on functionality more than performance, but just to note: While A.S. is "waiting for data" with the window up, it consumes ~45% of (one) CPU on a 2.0GHz 2011 Macbook Pro. When the "Minimize Window to Tray" is selected (which, by the way, is a MS Windows terminology, not Mac), the CPU drops to ~35% ... and that is still a surprising high value, considering that there is only a rather constant 60 to 160 byte/sec network activity going on (looks like "keep alive" chatter with Geni) ... and that low network activity probably reflects no active downloading happening -- which makes me wonder what all that CPU activity is that is going on. This is just an observation which may be useful to look into from a performance point of view. (p.s.: These 'observations' are simply done from watching the OS/X "Activity Monitor".)

Private User
7/21/2011 at 9:01 AM

@Dovy - Thanks for fixing that crash. This now completes with photos on the Mac.
AncestorSync appears to ignore GRAD and RESI tags that the Geni.com GEDCOM export supports. Is this a known issue?

Looking back at the Windows version, I now see that Videos as well as Photos were downloaded to the From Geni directory, although the main files failed. Should I try rerunning requesting videos? Will it interact with the files already downloaded?

Showing 1-30 of 47 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion